Bootable partitioning.

xerolen

In Runtime
Ok here's my problem I want to create a bootable partition on an HDD that already has 4 partitions

Windows 7 (boot, primary partition) 654.69Gb
System reserved (system, active, primary partition)200 Mb
System restore (logical drive) 29 Gb
OEM partition 14.75Gb

I wanted to shrink my windows 7 partition then make the open space a secondary bootable partition to test windows 8. It will allow me to shrink my windows 7 partition but it won't allow me to make another partition from the unformatted space. It gives me the message that I have too many partitions already. I need to know how to fix this. I am attending a windows 8 developers conference and I need to be able to use 8 on my laptop. Please refrain from any comments about how windows 8 is. All I need is help not criticism. Please does anyone know how to fix this?

I'll try it out. Thank you. When ever I posted this anywhere else everyone just kept yelling at me that windows 8 sucks.....They didn't understand I need this for work. Thank you for being the first actually helpful person to give me a suggestion today.

I'll try it out. Thank you. When ever I posted this anywhere else everyone just kept yelling at me that windows 8 sucks.....They didn't understand I need this for work. Thank you for being the first actually helpful person to give me a suggestion today.

Lol I guess all they read was "install windows 8" and jumped on that lol. Good luck.

There is just 1 thing you have to look out for and remember when doing this. Windows can only be installed to Primary Partitions. With that there can only be 4 Primary Partitions on any hard drive. After that they become Logical or Extended Partitions, both of which will not be able to be used for installing Windows 8. So while it is good advice to use GParted, just know that with your current setup you might not be able to partition the drive any further to install Windows 8. I do see you mention that you have a Logical Partition, so you might luck out and be able to create the Primary Needed. But it should be known about this before you begin your adventure only to find out you cant install Win8.

Back
Top Bottom