Boot-Up ERROR......

Status
Not open for further replies.

dykzeulb

In Runtime
Ok, My friends dad brought home a computer and we can't seem to figure whats wrong with it, It did work B4 but now ahs a messege and won't even boot up, The messege that pops up, goes as follows......

PXE-E61: Media test failure check cable
PXE-MOF: EXITING INTEL PXE ROM.
BOOT FAILURE: SYSTEM HAULTED

(IT ISN'T ALL IN CAPS, I WAS 2 LAZY TO TYPE THE LOWER AND TALL CASE LETTERS) LOL...ANYWAYS GUYS ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!! :D

No I did not build it it is a gateway pentium four, I dont know maybe some one messed with it again I need help with this so plz reply quick

It is a Windows 98, I don't see how any cord could become unplugged unless someone got into it....I doubt that...Anyways Back to the problem.. I can't even get it to get to the Windows 98 Logo screen, It turns on and that is the first thing you see, If some one could get me some sort of diagram or something so I know which cable is plugged in or unplegged...That would help GREATLY! I know it is a lot to ask but it would be greatly appreciated! It is a Pentium 4....dunnno if that helps any but then again I dont know much about computers......

That is really weird to have 98 on a Pentium 4 box. Are you sure that it is a Pentium 4? Anyway, the harddrive cable usually has blue connectors that attach to the motherboard and the harddrive itself. The harddrive will be located below the floppy drive somewhere. Just look around and make sure that all the cables are secure to the motherboard and the harddrive. Press down firmly on them and if need be unplug them and plug them back in firmly.

Lol..uh oh, I dlon't see 3 cables only 2 the power cbl and the one that is about 3 inched wide...is there supposed to be another one?? Damn IT! I see a blank spot in the harddrive but I never knew that it needed to be filled...crap, I think someone screwed with it..The front says Xp But someone must have put 98 back on it..A-holes!

You should definitely have Windows XP (Professional preferably) installed on a Pentium 4 setup, for greater compatibility.

On PATA (Parallel instead of SATA which is Serial) drives like yours there should be 2 cables in the hard drive, 1x 4-pin molex connector and 1x 86-pin 2inch wide flat cable. The molex from power supply and the flat wide cable from hard drive to motherboard, with blue end in the motherboard.

Go into bios and disable remote/LAN install or LAN boot. It basically allows for remote installation, and PXE is also considered for Network cards. Essentially it allows a network card to be functional with no o/s so it can be installed over the network. So go into the bios and disable it. Hopefully it should boot.

Little more indepth so u dont counter with anything here. I doesn't matter that you HAVE an o/s installed, whats happening is for some unknown reason on boot the PXE compliant card is checking for installation config files over the network or a bootable network, and is finding none. It then halts instead of booting off the HDD. Dont ask why, I dont know, but it does tend to happen for odd reasons. So disable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom