Boot problems XP - MBR issue - long history -

Status
Not open for further replies.

okn0tok

Solid State Member
I installed Ubuntu on my Toshiba R15 Tablet, decided I wanted my HD space back. Deleted the Ubuntu partition. On restart I got the infamous GRUB LOADER 1.7 error.
I then used kill disk to zero out the HD. Upon start up with no OS I just got one word: GRUB. (my favorite word now:rolleyes:)

I couldn't boot into the Bios because it loaded the error before I could do anything then if I did manage to get F2 hit it would just hang.

I took apart the laptop unplugged my CMOS and restarted (knowing it would boot right to Bios to have time set) Fixed it to look for my CD/DVD drive if it didn't find the OS.

It finally let me boot to a disk.
I put in my XP sp3 disk.... installed windows and got:
INTEL BOOT Agent v 4.1.16 blah blah copyright yada yada

PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
Insert system disk in drive.
Press any key when ready.

Again I can't get into the BIOS.
If I boot from my XP disk or Ultimate Boot CD [UBCD] I can boot out into XP fine but on restart I get the same error.
If I try to re-install windows it wants floppies for recovery console and gives me no option to repair the existing XP install only to format and reinstall.
Taking me in circles.
I was originally trying to perform either FDISK/MBR or FIXMBR but I can't get into a place to do this.

My question is:
Using UBCD how can I do this? Or if you know another way, how can I fix my loading problem?

I am sure I'm missing something here but my brain is fried at this point?

Oh and to make it even more interesting I have to take the Ubuntu loader off my new desktop running Vista so if anyone knows how i can avoid this whole mess before hand I'd appreciate it.

--Amy--:confused:

Hello,

How many drives do you have? Just this one? Or do you have another one? From the sounds of it there is another drive in there that is taking boot priority.

I would say either UBCD or the Super GRUB disk.

Super Grub Disk Webpage - Download CDROM

It is just like UBCD just in case that one doesnt work.

Cheers,
Mak

It's the only drive. Yes it seems to be looking for something that's not there. I did try another drive at one point but still had the grub error so I just went back to mine.

I ran Gujin boot tool from off the UBCD and it gave me this info:

It says it finds 4 disks
0: ide master size 75GB partition 1
1: atapi master 115mb partition 1 (I dont know what that is)
2: ebios size 74GB partition 1
3: bios size 1440kb partition 0

Boot analysis: found 3 ways to boot 0 initial ram disks

I know this I have one HD, I put it in there lol. I do not know how to us the UBCD cd, as in I have no clue what to run to fix the issue its a bit overwhelming.

OK I have only one partition, and I dont have a floppy drive so perhaps I missed what I was suppose to get from that post? Thanks. :)

umm.... you have the same problem

Again I can't get into the BIOS.
If I boot from my XP disk or Ultimate Boot CD [UBCD] I can boot out into XP fine but on restart I get the same error.

this is a network boot. it couldn't find any hard drive info. i'd disable the network boot

it filled in the missing ntldr problem

Strange problem. I would zero out the drive while mounted in an external enclosure and have look at track 0 with a hex editor. Programs like WinHex are perfect for this. It could be its just a bad drive or kill disk didn't do it's job.

A few things have changed:
I can get into the Bios now.
I got rid of the PXE errors but it still asks for a system disk.
I now have a small amount of unallocated space showing on my drive that wasnt showing in disk management now.
I tried testdisk, and super grub and installed recovery console and tried that.
Nothing worked.
I will try the hex editor. (What specifically should I see ie. what is normal?)
Also if Super grub can find the boot record and boot into windows I am wondering why its not just loading... infact UBCD can also find the boot info and load me into windows.

if you get in there with the fix ntldr.exe by these

1ST TRY THIS seleccione esto primero
2ND TRY THIS essayez ceci en deuzieme
3RD TRY THIS wahlen Sie diesen Third
4TH TRY THIS selezioni questo fourth
5TH TRY THIS selecione este fifth
6TH TRY THIS seleccione este sexto
7TH TRY THIS essayez ceci en septieme
8TH TRY THIS wahlen Sie dieses achte
9TH TRY THIS selezioni questo nono
10TH TRY THIS selecione este decimo

Simple "ntldr is missing" fix with boot floppy, CD-R, or USB flash

then
copy the boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com files to My Computer > Local Disk C:\ > and overwite whatever files might be there, then right click each file, choose properties, uncheck the Read Only attribute, and click OK

then edit boot.ini to select the one that worked for you

NLTDR is missing, once fixed, how to remove the '1st try this' prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom