Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankit3000

Baseband Member
Ok guys, the first wrong thing I did was install Windows Vista on my system. I ended up hating it because it was slow and it slowed down my XP. In the end I decided to remove it. I tried going to XP and formatting the Vista drive from there but it didn't work.

So I tried a bunch of methods and I ended up inserting my Windows XP install Disc. Through the disc, I deleted the Vista Partition, and then I created the Hard drive again.I thought my problem was solved but as I soon found out it was not. After I did this I exited the Windows XP setup and I rebooted my PC.

Now when I first turned it on, there were three options. Onewas "Earlier Version of Windows", another was "Windows Vista", and the last one was "Windows XP installation". Of course Windows Vista did not work, but the Windows XP installation still works. Now I am scared that somebody might mess up my computer by mistake. (My brother can do something wrong by mistake)

Still my problems did not end. When I clicked on Early Version of Windows, there were two options available there. They were "Windows XP" and "Windows XP install". This time the countdown is on Windows XP install and it is 3 seconds so Windows XP can easily be installed by mistake.

So this is what I want to know. How can I configure it so that the moment I turn on my computer it boots straight into Windows XP?

Well actually I do not think you need to read all of that. To make a long story short. How do I boot directly to Windows XP if I have other options? Thanks.

You need to put the XP CD in and do a fixboot and fixmbr. That will get rid of the options for Vista.

After that get into XP and do this.

Start>Run>Msconfig

Boot.ini tab

check all paths and see if you can remove the Install path. If not manually edit the Boot.ini to remove the Windows Install so that you can just ahve XP.

Also what version of Vista do you haev and what are your specs? That way i can better tell you how and why Vista worked badly for you.

Do I do the fixboot and fixmbr in repair of my Windows Installation Disc

By the way, I have Windows Vista Ultimate

My specs are Intel Duo Core, 2.8 Ghz, 448 Mb Ram, ATI Radeon X200, and a DVD RW drive. Tell me if you need more information on the specifications.

I see the problem already. Your RAM and Video card.

For Vista Ultimate you should at least 2 GB of RAM. Along with a great DX9 or new DX10 card. nVidia makes the only DX10 card right now. The 8800. If you update those 2 things you will be able to run Vista Ultimate easyily.

You do the fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery console.

when you install Vista, it replaces your boot handler with a Vista specific one...
you can remove the Vista boot record with EasyBCD
in the Manage Bootloader section, there is an option that says: "uninstall the Vista Bootloader (use to restore XP)"
That should do the trick. (thanks again Makaveli, I use it often)

Can EasyBCD remove my Early Windows Version boot problem? By that I mean that when I click Early Version of Windows 2 more options come up. Or is EasyBCD only for the Vista boot screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom