Boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

15doctorpeppers

Beta member
hi guys,
i had a working XP on an IDE HD, and i recently decided to add a SATA drive. i had installed all the right drivers, but was still having a problem, so i thought i would try using the format option on the XP CD when you boot. anyway, i accidentally formatted my IDE drive, and in a panic i rebooted mid-format. long story short, the drive was formatted, and i now have XP re-installed (and i found a way to get the SATA drive working too), but now when i boot up, i get the "please select an operating system to start". the two options are
Windows XP home <------the working version
Windows (default) <------highlighted

if i do nothing, it boots into the default, which gives me the screen "disk hardware configuartion problem" and reboots. i can manually select the first option, and everything works fine.

here's what i've tried:
1. altering the boot.ini in system manager (it just has the default boot pathway... nothing about "windows (default)"
2. using the recovery option on the CD - in this case, it tells me to select a directory, then prompts me for the admin password, and then says that my password is INVALID!!

in case it makes any difference, i'm using:
asus k8v se deluxe
athlon 64 3200+
1024 RAM
WD 80gb IDE and WD 80gb SATA

keep in mind that everything worked before my little -ah- formatting mishap.

thanks in advance

open the boot.ini in notepad by going to start, run and type "notepad.exe C:\boot.ini"
put this in it:

[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

then save and exit

if you can't save because it is read-only, make sure "view hidden files" is on, right click on the boot.ini in root C: go to properties and uncheck read-only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom