Boot Mgr Missing ??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Boot Mgr Missing ???

Greetings,
It seems that my beloved Maxtor hard drive has finally passed away. With that being said, I bought a new SATA Raptor drive. Unfortunately, my motherboard did not have a sata plug so I purchased a serial to sata. This worked fine. I was able to put the driver disc in, and the boot up process is seeing my new drive. Then a error message appears. BOOT MGR is missing...please hit control alt del...which I do and of course the same message appears. I have a full version of vista, a full version of xp but it seems that when I hit a keyboard button to boot from one these disc...its a no go.....Im confused. Should I make a floppy xp boot disc? It seems that all the forums for this error message wants me to go into DOS to manipulate. I cant get into Dos? Is this because my hard drive is not partioned correctly? Im confused.
RedTail
P.s I already went into the bios setup and set the boot sequence to my cd rom...vista or xp still wont load.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Boot Mgr Missing ???

Does anybody know about this?

Old 04-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neowin.net

your have to boot from your Vista cd. make sure your computer is set to boot from the cd in the bios first. once it loads up, choose repair a problem. then choose repair startup. that should get Vista up and running. then you'll need something like easybcd to get your xp partition back. good luck
Old 04-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanx for your reply....as stated in the above message...I have tried this and it still will not boot. This is a brand new hard drive. My old drive with xp crashed....it has nothing to repair. Am I doomed? I wont give up on this. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. Im willing to try or do anything to get vista on my system. Is there a boot disc I should download with the Boot mgr on it or what? I tried a xp boot disc ... but ...the fool I am realized that it was .exe...duhh....thats not going to self extract.....
Im confused.
RedTail
Old 04-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

UPDATE:
I am able to get the vista to begin installation now...unfortunately ... after about 50% of the installation...(between installing features and installing updates ) the vista disc appears to just stop? Is this the point where it is supposed to reboot? Hmmm....could this be a bios setting or just my luck? Vista is just not jiving....im willing to try anything....
Thanks,
RedTail
Old 04-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

you are leaving something out. do you have a floppy disc for that serial to sata card?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Before the vista installation begins, it gives me the opportunity to load the sata hard drive --- driver ---- then proceeds....so strange how it just stops later on during the installation process. I also have a full version of xp....problem with this is the the xp installation does not detect my hard drive. It gives me the opportunity to install the hard drive driver but is looking for it on a floppy and of course the drive is on a cd. I am going to try to save it on a floppy then install xp then install vista. Problem is the xp is from work ... so I dont really want to use that registration number in case work needs it. Doesnt windows detect the serial for updates ... and wont allow two computers to have the same xp serial on it? what a nightmare this is.
Jon
Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

that cd should have a floppy maker on it
Old 04-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Eric,
I dont understand?
I tried to make a floppy with the drive on it...I could not get it to work? Any advise?
Redtail
Old 05-01-2007, 01:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

this is my mobo cd. here is my floppy raid (sata) driver. normally in the xp driver folder that in this raid folder there is a floppy disc maker. it isn't on this cd (I use nlite to import the mobo cd unto my xp disc).

but you just copy the contents of this folder to your floppy disc if that's the case

Closed Thread