Boot Loader Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
I've had a fight restoring my XP backup from Vista but I managed to restore my data. But I have some concerns when the OS boots I get two choices at the boot screen

windows(defualt)
windows(defualt)

you have 25 secs to choose etc

The first one works the second one does not. My boot.ini aparently should not work at all yet it is. Can someone post the defualt boot loader text if you have one HD and 1 Partition with windows on it for XP pro? My current boot loader reads as follows.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]

Have you tried to do the boot.ini tab and run the boot check?
Either that or just remove the second entry from the boot.ini since you said it doesnt work anyways.

I don't have a single OS install, but the default would be something like this:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="[b]INSERT OS NAME HERE[/b]" /fastdetect

TMT.

Thank you TMT

Mak please look again at my boot loader it shouldn't even work at all how can I remove the second choice when it isn't even there. Take a look at my boot.ini that is the whole thing nothing is left out.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

If it shouldnt work at all then how are you in a OPS?!? I am takeing the time to try and help. I did respond even to your bump. All you had to say was that was not possible. I dont ahve only 1 OS so i couldnt give the default boot.ini. Sicen you dont want to take any help i wont give it anymore. Not a problem. I just cant wait to see how much wrong information you feed the members of this forum about Vista since you dont even use it.

Does this look like a working boot file not at all but does it work, yes. Why it works I don't know.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

Mak I'll try to further explain things in a PM but also take note I do use MS Virtual PC and still can use Vista on my XP OS. But it is a pain only having 480 RAM having to share that with a host and virtual machine can be a pain.

Well Tyler have you thought about partitioning your HDD so you can dual boot? That is what i have done with my machine. It wasnt easy mind you but it is well worth it.
BTW why are you so insistant on Editing your posts after someone comments on them. Afraid other members might see the truth. You dont take into consideration what other people on this forum know. You think you know it all and have every right to snap back at then when they are wrong.

Because mak you of all people should know that dual booting with Vista is no fun at all. Now yes I even sent you a PM explaining things so back off.

Excuse me? Just cause you have a bad day i am just supposed to be all hunky dory? Grow up. We all have bad days. Dont take it out on members of a forum. What does that get you?

It is not difficult to dual boot at all. I can do everything i need in Vista and if by chance i have a crash i can then just jump back to XP. Simple really. You just choose not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom