Boot issue, multi-boot, Ultimate Boot CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay did you rebuild your boot.ini? HAve you tried to use a Linux LiveCD to make sure that you are right on the partition numbers. Are you sure there isnt a recovery partition in there somewhere or possible a 8MB partiiton that Windows creates upon install that is stopping the boot.ini configuration you posted before from working?

Cheers,
Mak

Okay did you rebuild your boot.ini? HAve you tried to use a Linux LiveCD to make sure that you are right on the partition numbers. Are you sure there isnt a recovery partition in there somewhere or possible a 8MB partiiton that Windows creates upon install that is stopping the boot.ini configuration you posted before from working?

Cheers,
Mak
8MB partition, created on install: Yes, could very well be. Had to abort an install on G: How can I fin out?

Thanks for the other tips as well! (I've changed my boot.ini, see earlier posts)

Hello,

As i said. Use a Linux LiveCD to check your partition tables. Use something like GParted. It is free to download and use. I have checked your earlier post about that boot.ini and i dont think that it will work. You only change around the rdisk and partition part which is good. But at the same time it could be that what you think is the first disc is the 2nd disk. You have to see how the partition tables look.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

As i said. Use a Linux LiveCD to check your partition tables. Use something like GParted. It is free to download and use. I have checked your earlier post about that boot.ini and i dont think that it will work. You only change around the rdisk and partition part which is good. But at the same time it could be that what you think is the first disc is the 2nd disk. You have to see how the partition tables look.

Cheers,
Mak
Ok, I'll download GParted Live, and have a look. :)

Fixed!!

-I ran Gparted LiveCD
-Didn't understand what "Partition Tables" was
-Looked at the Flagg-settings. No partitions where flagged!
-Flagged first disk, first partition "Boot"
-Reboot ->success
-Changed boot.ini back to normal
-Reboot ->success

Thanks everyone for helping out!
Especially Mak213: Fantastic!!
You all make this world a better place!!
..and you've given me a very good first impression about this forum.

Cheers! :happy:

..a little strange though that xp and Partition Logic failed mark C: as active.
..strange. Any ideas?

..a little strange though that xp and Partition Logic failed mark C: as active.
..strange. Any ideas?

I was going to say after mak13 point out that your 8mb part might be partition that sound exactly like your issue. you can't boot or make a partition active when you how no partition table (8mb part). gpart obviously fixed without reformatting so that's a good thing

the last 2 hard drives can't be booted from unless I have the partition table on another drive. it they were by their self I'd be sol

pm12.jpg

Hello,

Glad you got it fixed. AFter thinking about it for a bit i finally realized that the 8MB partition that XP creates upon install had to be messing with things.

Depending on th location of that partition is what caused this issue. I am guessing it is at the front of the drive which is why Windows failed to mark C as active. Usually they are created at the end and that is why most PC's dont come across this issue like this.

I am glad that we could help out and get your PC working again. If you have any more questions please stop by again.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

Glad you got it fixed. AFter thinking about it for a bit i finally realized that the 8MB partition that XP creates upon install had to be messing with things.

Depending on th location of that partition is what caused this issue. I am guessing it is at the front of the drive which is why Windows failed to mark C as active. Usually they are created at the end and that is why most PC's dont come across this issue like this.

I am glad that we could help out and get your PC working again. If you have any more questions please stop by again.

Cheers,
Mak

it don't matter where it's at, just as long as it's there. notice on my first drive that it's in the middle.

his scenario was looking like my bottom 2 hdds. the 8 mb part was partitioned

I dont have the 8MB on my drive at all. I didnt use Windows to partition my drive that is why it isnt there. So it isnt necessary to be there to boot. It was just throwing off the partition numbering for his system.

Cheers,
Mak

why did i just have this problem on my cousin's computer? I tried all of these fixes in this thread to no avail. I reinstall windows with everything out. it worked fine. i put the usb hdd to re copy her documents back and then I couldn't boot.

turns out that her bios was taking priority to the usb hdd. unplugging it fix the problem

btw. it was the last hdd on the picture that i posted here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom