Boot issue, multi-boot, Ultimate Boot CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Well i can almost assure you that is what is happening. the boot files are not located on the same drive that the BIOS and the system see as the boot device. I have had a bit of experience with this as i help people with Dual Boot setups at NeoSmart with EasyBCD. This kind of thing happens all the time when dual booting with Vista/Xp when you install XP after Vista.

With Partition Logic check and see if there is a option in there to make the device boot or active. But be warned doing this might remove your other OS's. Since i dont know which OS's you are working with i cant give a very detailed and accurate answer as to what is going on.

Cheers,
Mak

The "Mark partition as active" on C: is disabled (grey text).
I set the D: partition on disk 2 active, and it is now marked active. On disk one it's C: and G: On G: the "Mark partition as active" is enabled (black text) (but not activated).

Okay so C: was marked as active. But that wasnt the boot drive. Interesting. See if copying the files to the G: drive will allow for the boot to work correctly.

Cheers,
Mak

Copied the files to G:
No change
Checked the partitions with Partition Logic. Marked C: as active, wrote changes.
It has now the status "healthy (boot)" in disk management.

[boot loader]
timeout=24
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I've tried the "Super Grub disk".
I got a little unsecure about what a was doing and how to do it.
If anyone could walk me through from the "Windows advanced"-section, I'd like to try it.
..I don't want just to push some buttons and mess things up.. :)

Disk 0:
C: (Boot) XP Pro
G: XP Pro
Disk 1:
D: (Active)
E:
F:

All marked healthy

Alright. Now my guess would be that your boot.ini file has a incorrect entry. Either teh rdisk entry or the partition entry is not correct.

Best bet. Rebuild your boot.ini:

Rebuilding Boot.ini - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Cheers,
Mak
It seems correct to me, but please check (my last posts)..

Thanks Eric! I've downloaded and I'm ready with my floppy. Just wanna ask:
Can I mess things up with it?

[boot loader]
timeout=24
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I've tried the "Super Grub disk".
I got a little unsecure about what a was doing and how to do it.
If anyone could walk me through from the "Windows advanced"-section, I'd like to try it.
..I don't want just to push some buttons and mess things up.. :)

Disk 0:
C: (Boot) XP Pro
G: XP Pro
Disk 1:
D: (Active)
E:
F:

All marked healthy

It seems correct to me, but please check (my last posts)..

Thanks Eric! I've downloaded and I'm ready with my floppy. Just wanna ask:
Can I mess things up with it?

no. it's the simple way to fix it. when ever you need the xp or boot cd in the tray to boot to xp, your ntldr is messed up or placed in the wrong spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom