Boot issue, multi-boot, Ultimate Boot CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Sun

Baseband Member
Hi all!
Hope you can help me with this..

I have a multi-boot setup, two partitions with XP.
On booting I get prompted for a system disk (in Norwegian text).
To escape this prompt I have to find a bootable CD and then eject it on the prompt. Then I come to the normal dialog with choosing operating system to boot from.

So, it's not life or death, but rather annoying.

I've checked out the issue and found that the bootfile: "NTLDR" has a switch named /minint .
Se: NTLDR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've used "The Ultimate Boot CD" and then wonder if this Cd-based OS has turned the switch on?
Could this be the case? And how can I turn it of?
And if it's not? Any ideas?

Thanks all!

You could try doing a repair install from your XP CD. Just boot to the XP CD and choose to repair install rather than a complete installation.

You could also try booting to the Super Grub disk. It has an option to fix your Windows boot loader.

Hello,

The NTLDR file missing is saying that you are missing a important file for booting. The NTDETECT file. Here is a page that explains it much better:

Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

In the troubleshooting page of XP they give you the option to download a copy of hte NTLDR and place it in the root of the drive where your boot.ini is located to stop these issues altogeter.

To see the files Open My Computer. Go under Tools>Folder Options. There select the View Tab. There select 3 different options. I will take a screen shot for you.

showfiles.png

If you have it set up like i show highlighted in Yellow you will be able to see the boot.ini file. Just place the NTDETECT file right in the same drive as that. It will be located right in the root of your drive. Not placed in any folder.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks Both!

Mak213: I have the NTLDR-file. I'm just wandering if it's not set up correctly. But yes, maybe if you'll say it's safe, I can overwrite it with a new one.

forrestcupp: Thanks! The "Super Grub disk" with a boot loader fix sounds like a good idea.
I'm not keen on using the XP-CD-repair. Had some bad experience with it..

Hello,

I think you miss understood what i saaid. The NTLDR file will be there. You are missing the NTDETECT file that works with the NTLDR file to boot Windows XP. My steps were to exolain how they work together and how to replace the missing file easily.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

I think you miss understood what i saaid. The NTLDR file will be there. You are missing the NTDETECT file that works with the NTLDR file to boot Windows XP. My steps were to exolain how they work together and how to replace the missing file easily.

Cheers,
Mak
Thanks Mak, but my NTDETECT.COM -file is there. Could it be corrupted? Should I get a new one and overwrite it?

It could be in the wrong place. You Boot drive might not be the same drive it is located on. Being a Multi boot setup the actual boot files location might not be the actual boot drive known by the BIOS.

So do this. Right click on My Computer>Manage>Disk Management. What is the System Active Drive and is that the same drive that has the Boot files on it?

Cheers,
Mak

It could be in the wrong place. You Boot drive might not be the same drive it is located on. Being a Multi boot setup the actual boot files location might not be the actual boot drive known by the BIOS.

So do this. Right click on My Computer>Manage>Disk Management. What is the System Active Drive and is that the same drive that has the Boot files on it?

Cheers,
Mak
Thanks!
My boot-files are all on my drive-letter C:
And C: is marked with "Status: Healthy (system)" in Computer Managment/Disk Management

Alright what drive is labeled as the System Active drive? That is the boot drive. So after System does it say Active?

What other OS's do you have installed? How many other partitions? Can you take a screen shot of you disk Management screen for me to take alook at and try to figure out what the issue is?

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks a lot!

Maybe you're on to something here. It will take me a little effort to upload a picture, cause I've had a crash and my passwords are hard to recover. But I remember doing some partitioning and not understanding the the term "active". I'll check it up with my Partition Logic.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom