boot.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
A friend of mine has windows 2000. Everytime his computer booted up it displayed a list of 3 windows operating systems. He didnt like this so he set Windows up to boot without asking which one to boot. This ended up in the computer booting into the wrong operating system. Now, we manged to install a second hard drive with another copy of Windows 2000 so we can fix up this problem. Now i need to edit the boot.ini file to set it to ask every time which operating system to boot from. Now, what do i put in the boot.ini file, and where is it located. Remember, i want the boot.ini file to instruct the system to display the list of operating systems all the time, not booting automatically.

Wayne

Open up Windows Explorer.

Goto Tools -> Folder Options -> View
Uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files"

Then navigate to the root of the harddrive that has the original Win2k installation on it. (It's more than likely C:\)

Double click the file named boot or boot.ini

That file should look like this.

Code:
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=10
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Setup"

Changing the Timeout field will change the amount of time it will show the options. Setting it to 0 will make it not display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom