boot.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrmc

Banned
I have xp home-D part,2000-C part
To make a long story short I had to use recovery console/bootcnf to get c: active again and somehow I got it twice, so how do I remove the extra 2000 boot?-thanks

hi !
go to start->run->msconfig->BOOT.INI. then you have this:
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

if you have the last line twice delete one.
cheers.

boot.ini is a little script file, derrmc. You just select the text and hit delete.

boot.ini is located on your installation drive (not in the system folder). (ex: C:\boot.ini) you can open it with notepad and make any changes you want, then save it. If you aren't totally sure what yer doing, make a backup!

Thanks ShoobieRat
notepad will not let me save-makesure path and filename are the same

Make sure when you save the file that the "Save as type" is all files and not .txt

Other than that, make sure that the file isn't read-only.

open run type c:\boot.ini delete the last line if it is the same as said by petogaz . when you delete the same line go in file > save if it sais you cannot save this file or sumthing then open c drive then tools>folder options>view in view click on show all files and uncheck hide protected system file. you will be able to see the boot.ini file in the c drive right click on the file and take its properties uncheck read only and then apply to it . then save the file.

Well thank you bla!!
First of all I should explain that I'm not a tech, this is my hobby
I came here to learn
Now the boot.ini notepad will only let me save as and that will let me change the file type but I don't know where to save it at to override the original

Sorry I'm so stupid

derrmc said:
Sorry I'm so stupid

It is not that you are so stupid it is that sometimes, the poster will leave out a pertinent piece of advice/ information necessary to carry out the task. In this case, looks like we forgot to tell you to change the file attribute.

If you're running XP, go to Run, Search and type in "boot.ini" w/ out the quotes. When windows returns the search result look in the right pane and Right Clikc on the file. Choose Properties. Uncheck the box that says "Read Only", Click OK. Now Right click again on that file, and click on "Open With...". Choose Notepad in the list of choices. Edit the file as directed above. Click on File > Save. Then exit Notepad. Go back to the search results, and R-click on the boot.ini file again. Click on Properties. This time recheck the box that says "Read Only".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom