Bogged Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMusician

Beta member
I have an XP SP3 Lightweight (160MB) edition that's been going for about a year, and in the last 2 weeks, something's really been bogging it down, but I don't know what.

Firefox now takes up 100MB of memory, even on just 2 tabs, and CPU usage is at 100% for everything. Even notepad; I haven't installed any new extensions. 2 weeks ago, I put my PC under my desk, and I realized that it was probably overheating. So I pulled it out, and I have even have an external fan (a table fan) blowing into the open case. But it hasn't improved. The PC is still slower than usual.

I've run major spyware and virus scans, and they've got nothing. The only background programs are ESET NOD32, and.. thats it. Everything else is a Windows process. No iTunes or anything (I don't have an iPod), nothing like that.

There is 20GB of free space on my hard drive. It's not a hard disk issue. Maybe something regarding virtual memory?

I built this machine in June of 2005. I'm starting to think it might be on its last days. I've power-used it like crazy; this PC has been very well worked.

3.0GHz Pentium 4, HT
2GB DDR400 (that's the max. this motherboard blows)
256MB NVIDIA 7600GT
Seagate 120GB SATA II Hard Drive
Windows XP SP3 Performance Edition

Spyware Removal Guide

Check out this site. It is a spyware site with a guide to scan your system with.

It doesnt sound like a Virtual Memory issue. My machine is just as old and still going strong till this day. So i would start with the spyware guide just to check first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom