Blue screen of death rears it's ugly face!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
Since these sorts of things tend to be rather specific, I thought it fit to put my problem in a new topic (this is also mentioned in my "Strange crash on boot" thread, but that title doen't really do this justice.
So, first: full specs:
CPU: 3.0Ghz P4 LGA775
PSU: generic 350 Watt
HDD: Maxtor 80GB SATA (SATA1 master (I think), bios autoconfigured)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8I915G Pro
CD/DVD: NEC DVD R/RW (IDE1 master, bios autocongifured)
Vid card: ASUS AX600 XT (yeah, I know it sucks compared to other $200 cards)
RAM: OCZ PC 3200 2x256md, dual channel

This setup has been working fine for severl months. This afternoon I finally got a chance to re-install a new fan. I dragged the case out from under my desk, opened it up, placed an antistatic bag on top of my vid card (just cause i'm kinda parnoid), installed the fan, closed it back up (removed the bag), and booted into my current dilemma.

Explorer crashed, a reboot fixed it, then an hour or so later when I was browsing on how to fix my other crash, I got a blank (just blue, no text) BSOD.

What should I do to ensure that never happens again? Again,. I generally FREAK out whenever something goes even the slightest bitwrong with my computer.

Did you put a heatsink under the fan? Maybe your card is over heating. A fan alone will barely do anything.

It's just a case fan. 1200mm, mounted for rear exhaust. I have not had problems with this system untill today. Anyone know how to tell if an absoloutly blank BSOD is a hardware issue or a software one? I was talking with someone over AIM about it and they think it might be my weaksih 350watt PSU, but I have run this same fan before (mounted wrong, screws got messed up, had to find new ones and did today), and the system was fine. So I guess I'm back where I started. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom