Blocking Websites in Firefox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee05162004

Baseband Member
Is there anyway to block specific websites in Firefox? I have checked the options and I don't see anything that looks like it would work. I know how to do it in IE. Is there an extension that I could use that would allow me to block sites in Firefox? Thanks for the help.

there isn't any option like that for firefox, you`ll have to do it via the HOST file.

it`ll be here:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

then click the host file a box will appear asking what app to open it in. Choose notepad.

Then at the bottom where it has this:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Add your websites you wish too block such as:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 www.techist.com
127.0.0.1 www.microsoft.com

then click file then save not save as do not choose to save it as a .txt file just click save, those websites should be blocked then.

EDIT: ok I found the above solution may not work maybe I did it wrong :confused: you can also block websites using your firewall.

Alternatively there are many very usefull extensions to firefox, many of which can perform this funtion. E.g. the Adblock extension allows you to block sites and there are even additional extensions that supply regularly updated ad server addresses for blocking.
Personally I think this is the simplest and most efficient method as its integrated into the browser, so for example you can ritgh click on something and opt to block the site, though of couse as mentioned before you can modify the hosts file manually or use thirdparty software/hardware.

Edit: Of course this depends on your purpose, if you wish to restrict access to another person without them being able to re-enable access then router is the best solution if you can't or dont want to restrict their user account, otherwise thirdparty software e.g. an appropriate firewall with a password and restrict the users ability to add remove programs, access the registry etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom