Blocking startup programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

__Camouflage__

Daemon Poster
Is there a way I can block a program from ever starting up at Windows start up? I.e. MSN Messenger always starts up when Windows starts up, even though I have removed the startup item from MSCONFIG and I have set it to NOT start up at Windows start up from the MSN Messenger preferences, but it still starts up? Anyway to BLOCK start up programs?

P.s. I was wanting to know how to change my avatar? I have looked at the User CP, but I can't find it. :angry:

Edit : Found out how to change the avatar. :eek:

I believe you can remove it in add/remove programs under, add/remove windows components tab.

Next time you reformat you can use Nlite to Remove from XP Completly.

Yes I too would just remove the ******* if you dont use it :) or are you wanting to block other programs as well?

No, I use it, the problem I am having is that everytime I start up MSN Messenger, it always makes a startup item in MSCONFIG, I'm wanting to BLOCK it from creating the startup item, not remove the program.

Edit : Something like TeaTimer? Without it showing the dialog box?

the option ur looking for is in msn messenger right click on the icon go to tools>options>prefrences and u will see a box checked start when windows starts uncheck said box and voila

an51r said:
the option ur looking for is in msn messenger right click on the icon go to tools>options>prefrences and u will see a box checked start when windows starts uncheck said box and voila

Pay more attention. ;)

__Camouflage__ said:
I have set it to NOT start up at Windows start up from the MSN Messenger preferences.

oops well here is another approach http://www.sysinternals.com/ they have a utility called autoruns it lets u see and adjust all the programs that start when windows starts form there u can uncheck and that should disable it

In Outlook Express go to TOOLS > WINDOWS MESSENGER > OPTIONS > PREFRENCES and in the general area uncheck both "Run this program when windows starts" and "Allow this program to run in the background." After doing this IM does not load on startup and Outlook Express loads as usual.
Second method

If you're running Pro, you can use GPEDIT.MSC to prevent Messenger from loading. Otherwise, even disabling it in startup won't cause it to "always" not run. Outlook, Outlook Express and some MS web pages can still make it load.

Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC

For "per machine" restriction, go to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Messenger. For "per user" restriction, go to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Messenger.

You can now modify whether it starts initially and/or whether its to run at all.

Note: Outlook and Outlook Express will take longer to open, unless you turn off Messenger Support. In Outlook Express it is in Tools, Options, General tab. In Outlook it is in Tools, Options, Other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom