Blaster Patch for 2000 SP1??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Blaster Patch for 2000 SP1???

I have dial-up and can't download the 35MB required to install Service Pack 2. Consequently, I am unable to install the patch provided by MS for the Blaster Worm which requires at least SP2. I continue to be attacked by the worm despite using "FixBlaster.exe" and need some help.

I would appreciate any ideas you guys might have...

Old 08-13-2003, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I finally got all of Service Pack 4 to download - all 35MB of it (2hrs+ of download) - when suddenly for no apparent reason I recieved a message that simply stated the program had encountered an "error" with no explaination and it shut down without completeing installation. That leaves me at square one.

This is a frickin computer nightmare.

Old 08-13-2003, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

That is the one I have been attempting to install and it keeps telling me I need SP2 or higher.

No worries, I'm actually lighting my computer on fire right now...
Old 08-13-2003, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just a thought since you have your back up against the wall...Have you tried download accelerator??? it is a program that speeds up downloading (I guess you would have figured out what the prog did according to it's name) You can find it here
http://www.cnet.com/ The only drawback is that it applies spyware onto your computer. If you have spybot (http://spybot.eon.net.au/) which is a program one should have installed regardless and Ace Utilites (I found mine here http://www.cnet.com/) After you install and download you can uninstall the program using Ace Utilities and then clean everything up with spybot....Sounds like a lot of work but all in all it WILL solve your problem as far as downloading is concerned...and everyone should already have Spybot installed on their computer anyway...It's a win win situation for you!!! Any problems let me know...I know how hard it can be downloading...used to have problems when I had a 56k modem trying to download pc games...didn't download all that often...
Old 08-14-2003, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

well sound like you need SP2 just go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...p2/default.asp if you can find the time to download

a good download accelerator is at: http://www.speedbit.com it actually made my connection go to over 1 mbps (1024 kbps) and it's average is 300 kbps
you can pause and resume downloads, and although it is not the full version there is no limit to how much you can use it
Old 08-15-2003, 12:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the problem now is not the download speed - I got service pack 4 fully downloaded and when I attempted to install I got an error message and it didn't finish the installation.

In other words, a vulnerability in a microsoft program exposed me to a virus for which the microsoft patch won't work unless I install the microsoft service pack which, sadly, had an error and would not properly install on my microsoft windows 2000 run system - ABSURD!

My only option was to try and download Service Pack 2 and see if that would work on my computer but, as I noted in another post, microsoft.com seems to be down.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Original Mac User

Oh, I must have stumbled onto the wrong thread. oopsie. Well, guess I'll say hi while i'm here.

17" MacBook Pro
2.3ghz Intel i7 // 8gb RAM
The older computer
2.53ghz Intel e7200 // 4gb HyperX // EVGA 9800 GTX 512mb // Win7
Old 08-15-2003, 02:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

hahaha....

just one thing
how could you stumble into the "wrong thread?" lol
Old 08-15-2003, 04:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

well i can get to www.microsoft.com
Old 08-15-2003, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

problem solved.

The worm had so torn up my system that I think it was blocking the installation of the service packs and so I ended up reformatting the hard drive, sad-but-true.

After rebooting I downloaded SP2 as well as the Blaster fix tool and patch - BINGO, no problemo.

anywho, I appreciate everyone's input and I'm glad to put this one behind me.

Can anyone recommend a good alternate OS for an IBM NetVista Station? Just thought I might consider it now...

Closed Thread