Blaster Patch for 2000 SP1???

Status
Not open for further replies.

laneatkins

Solid State Member
I have dial-up and can't download the 35MB required to install Service Pack 2. Consequently, I am unable to install the patch provided by MS for the Blaster Worm which requires at least SP2. I continue to be attacked by the worm despite using "FixBlaster.exe" and need some help.

I would appreciate any ideas you guys might have...

I finally got all of Service Pack 4 to download - all 35MB of it (2hrs+ of download) - when suddenly for no apparent reason I recieved a message that simply stated the program had encountered an "error" with no explaination and it shut down without completeing installation. That leaves me at square one.

This is a frickin computer nightmare.

That is the one I have been attempting to install and it keeps telling me I need SP2 or higher.

No worries, I'm actually lighting my computer on fire right now...

Just a thought since you have your back up against the wall...Have you tried download accelerator??? it is a program that speeds up downloading (I guess you would have figured out what the prog did according to it's name) You can find it here
http://www.cnet.com/ The only drawback is that it applies spyware onto your computer. If you have spybot (http://spybot.eon.net.au/) which is a program one should have installed regardless and Ace Utilites (I found mine here http://www.cnet.com/) After you install and download you can uninstall the program using Ace Utilities and then clean everything up with spybot....Sounds like a lot of work but all in all it WILL solve your problem as far as downloading is concerned...and everyone should already have Spybot installed on their computer anyway...It's a win win situation for you!!! Any problems let me know...I know how hard it can be downloading...used to have problems when I had a 56k modem trying to download pc games...didn't download all that often...

the problem now is not the download speed - I got service pack 4 fully downloaded and when I attempted to install I got an error message and it didn't finish the installation.

In other words, a vulnerability in a microsoft program exposed me to a virus for which the microsoft patch won't work unless I install the microsoft service pack which, sadly, had an error and would not properly install on my microsoft windows 2000 run system - ABSURD!

My only option was to try and download Service Pack 2 and see if that would work on my computer but, as I noted in another post, microsoft.com seems to be down.

Oh, I must have stumbled onto the wrong thread. oopsie. Well, guess I'll say hi while i'm here.

:p

;)

problem solved. :D

The worm had so torn up my system that I think it was blocking the installation of the service packs and so I ended up reformatting the hard drive, sad-but-true.

After rebooting I downloaded SP2 as well as the Blaster fix tool and patch - BINGO, no problemo.

anywho, I appreciate everyone's input and I'm glad to put this one behind me.

Can anyone recommend a good alternate OS for an IBM NetVista Station? Just thought I might consider it now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom