Black screen at startup, Can't go into safe mode because SSD

oxoDUs

Beta member
Hello,

laptop model "ASUS ROG G551JW"

I'm having a serious problem. I decided to replace my windows 10 back to windows 8.1. When i installed it it was working. Then i installed nvidia graphics driver, chipset drivers(required to restart computer, i did not), audio drivers(required to restart computer, i did not), ATK drivers(required to restart computer, i did not), then "nvidia experience" suggested me to download new version of grapichs driver so i started downloading it. Furthermore, i went to install directx11 setup did not start and computer got "lagged". I "end tasked" the directx11 setup and decided to restart windows. But it did not restart, I was waiting like 20mins and it still it was showing: "Restarting...". Then i forcibly shut down the computer by holding power button for few seconds. Now when it loads up I can only see a black screen and my mouse cursor(can also move it).

Any solution to this? I think i would be able to fix it if i could enter safe mode, but shift+f8 and f8 doesn't work for me because my laptop has SSD. And i can't open it through windows because it doesn't load.

Yours sincerely,
Eligijus

Hi A lot going on here! How did you revert back to W8.1??Do you have the W8.1 restore media?? Are you trying to get to the recovery mode. This is where a system repair disc comes in handy. When you installed W8.1 it was working??? Can you not get back to that point.
I'm sure carnage can help you!!
Gary!!

I had windows 8.1 in my USB, so i deleted win 10 and installed win 8.1. It was working when i installed it, then started crashing after i installed some drivers and after i shut it down it now has black screen. I can't reinstall windows because when i try to the screen freezes after i choose language, keyboard type, time zone etc and i press Install. Then i have a screen showing "Setup is starting" but its frozen, nothing happens.

Basicly what i need is safe mode, is it possible to go into safe mode if shift+f8 and f8 doesn't work and windows load up to the point where it has black screen... In google i've seen "Black screen" problem solved by going into safe mode, but i can't go into it :(((((((((((((((((((((

Last edited:
Here are my thoughts! If you were able to install W8.1 and it was working, but BSOD all the time, and now you can't install W8.1; my thinking is you could have developed a hardware problem. Do you have a different HD you could try to install your OS on?? You may not be able to get to safe mode if your HD is bad! You might try wiping your HD and then try installing your OS???
Gary!
PS maybe other members will have better suggestions!!

Last edited:
What I did so far is that i installed windows 7 at different partition, because the one with windows 8 has blackscreen. When i load windows7 i try to delete the partition with windows 8 in it, but sadly i can't. I've tried using "MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9.1". It says "partition was successfully wiped" or formatted or deleted, depends on the option I choose. But it still shows that that partition has 24% used space, so obviously it was not deleted or formated.
Second thing which i tried is to run cmd in safe mode. But it failed too: here's the pic:(windows 8[with black screen] is at partition 'Volume 2'):WP_000267.jpg
Any ideas how to delete that 'Volume 2' partition or change from RAW to NTFS

Use a GParted LiveCD to remove format it.

You can either create a partition using GParted and then reinstall Win8 or use GParted to expand your Win7 partition into the unallocated space (wouldn't need to format it in this case - just expand the partition into the RAW/unallocated space).

Use a GParted LiveCD to remove format it.

You can either create a partition using GParted and then reinstall Win8 or use GParted to expand your Win7 partition into the unallocated space (wouldn't need to format it in this case - just expand the partition into the RAW/unallocated space).

I would agree with carnageX. Using a LiveCD to to reformat or manage partitions would probably fix your problem. There are many LiveCD iso downloads on the Internet. I would also recommend Hiren's BootCD. It allows you to boot into a compressed version of XP, so you might be able to fix it from using another partition rool.

Thank you all for replys, i'm downloading gparted live atm, will let you know further details soon.

Back
Top Bottom