Black Screen Before Boot..

Status
Not open for further replies.

santana

Solid State Member
my problem is, after the ASUS post screen, and the memory check screen, right when it is supposed to go to the Windows XP "Now Loading Screen" where the blue bar is going back and fourth, i have about a 30-60 second pause, where the screen is blank. between the post>boot screen and the windows xp now loading screen...the monitor is on, no mouse is shown, but then it begins to load and everything runs fine, it only started happening on this motherboard, although i have installed windows on this board times before when re formatting and windows worked just fine, just about every other time ive reformatted, even on a different or brand new hard drive, i have this same problem occasionally, and this time it happended again., and cannot find out whats causing it and how to fix it. when i re install off my xp cd i have to set my bios to my CD drive as first boot, becasue it wont recognize the windows xp cd. and then switch it back there after.

the system i am running is:

amd athlon xp 2400+
768mb 266mhz DDR
GeForce Fx5900xt
asus a7v8x kt400
2 80gig WD 2mb Cache 7200 rpm HDDs
CDRW
DVD+-RW
Floppy
onboard sound.

although i have had this problem wiht other specs, ive had this problem for over 2 years and now trying to find out what the heck the problem is. regular computer performance is fine and runs perfect. i dont do much but homework, play a few games,music, occasionally movies, and that is it.

thanks

Santana

Do you have a an optical mouse? If so, check and see if there's power to the USB, I've had problems with this, and it was my new hardware... a pimped out keyboard, with leds. All I did, was installed drivers and it worked perfectly after that. I don't know how that made a diff. though.

i do have a usb keyboard, thats corded, and a wireless usb optical mouse.
ill try that. thanks

Re:

Hello,

I have a Compaq S5500UK PC with an ASUS mobo which has an Nvidia nForce 2 Chipset (specs in sig). Do you have an Nvidia Chipset, and if you do, have you upgraded your chipset drivers recently?

I experienced a problem similar to the one your are experiencing. After upgrading my Nvidia nForce 2 Chipset Drivers from version 4.27 to version 5.10, I noticed that after rebooting, there was a 30 second freeze time just before the OS loads, and the Windows XP splash screen animates.

This continually ocurred, until I uninstalled the entire suite of nForce Chipset Drivers completely, and rebooted. The system worked fine. It was only when I did process of elimination did I find out that the 'Nvidia IDE Driver' installed from chipset drivers version 5.10 was causing the boot freezup.

To fix this problem, I had to make sure that a version other than the IDE Driver in the chipset package 5.10, was not installed. Currently, I am using the older Nvidia IDE Driver version, from the 4.27 package, but all other drivers are upgraded to the ones in version 5.10.

This may not be the same problem...but at least it is something you can either jump out on your seat on, or just eliminate it :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom