Black screen after password input on login.. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenon

Solid State Member
Hi guys, Ive come across a problem that not only is on my PC, but the other desktop and laptop around my house...

After i type my password in on the login screen it takes a while to load, then when it does login a black screen appears and only the mouse curser is visible. It remains this way for about 40 seconds before everything appears and the computer starts loading and starting like normal. Very strange - but here is the interesting part:

Trial & error time. Approx. 50 restarts later.. I found on my laptop if i go to:
Start > msconfig > services tab, then disable "WLAN AutoConfig" the problem disappears. Yup, I get the usual fast login with no black screen. But its too good to be true, with WLAN AutoConfig disabled, i have no wireless internet connection. :madd:

I repeated this on my wireless desktop, same thing happens.

I finally repeated this on my wired PC, it doesn't stop the black screen but i still have my wired connection. No luck.

I'm guessing that if i disable the wired autoconfig on my PC i might get rid of the black screen but have no wired connection. At first I thought this was a Windows update that has made all machines slow startup (the laptop and desktop are DELL, my PC is home brew and is not), but who knows.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Zenon :big_grin:

WLAN shouldn't need a startup program to work. Unless you are using software provided by your card's manufacturer.

All of my windows installations are legit.

No, i am not using software provided by my card's manufacturer, and i suppose the WLAN is just an automatic thing that establishes my wireless network router each time. Without the WLAN AutoConfig enabled i cant connect to anything wirelessly regardless. I wonder why disabling this improves my boot time on my laptop + desktop and stops the black screen.

Also it was only recently (1 or 2 months) that the black screen really started appearing. All computers were purchased at very different time but all have run into the black screen problem over night. Ive tried disabling all startup applications on msconfig but this doesn't change anything, i have also used the software "Soluto" to reduce startup time by delaying or pausing unnecessary programs from running during startup, this hasnt helped either. I still have a gut feeling it could be a Windows Update?

Cheers, Zenon.

All of your computers that aren't networked in any way started to have this problem at once?

My money is on a Poltergeist.

I mean I'm actually kind of not even kidding. Nothing would explain multiple separate devices malfunctioning in the same way besides an environmental cause.

The 3 computers are connected to the same network, the router in my house.
2 wireless and 1 wired.

Poltergeist? A technician ghost is fiddling around with my machines XD

Hmm, im unsure what to try next. A very frustrating problem.

The 3 computers are connected to the same network, the router in my house.
2 wireless and 1 wired.

You had said also when you disabled your WLAN the problem stopped? (But then obviously no interweb)

I'm stumped too. It sounds like an startup or OS issue to me, so WLAN shouldn't effect it but *shrug*

Hopefully when one of the mods gets a look at the thread they may know more.

UPDATE: Yesterday I installed the update (Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.105.124.0) and for some reason my black screen has gone away. This may be only temporary but at least its banished for now. I don't even think this update would/should of effected my start up but ha-ho.

My laptop however has this update and has still got the black screen. This is just mental!

Thought so, the black screen back AGAIN on my PC. I'm completely puzzled.

2ND UPDATE: I ran a complete Disk Check yesterday and also De-fragmented it. I also removed my password to see if that would help. My boot has become more faster but at the same point, like i would when i put in my password, it still loads for a long time then goes to the black screen for about 40 seconds. Very very rarely the screen wont go black on boot. Have we discovered enough information to start making a move yet?

Cheers, Zenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom