bioshock help server08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poizen22

Camera junky
yes this does belong here as it is os related to why it will not work, ive done a google serach and havent come up with much. eveytime i launch bioshock i get an error saying failed to launch gameexplorer objects, and yes gameexplorer is in one word. what did work was running it in windows xp sp2 compatibility mode but it ran in a window without a top bar, and when i increased the resolution to 1280x1024 it crashed, all i want to do is run bioshock on my pc in peace the way it should run.

Then you should install Vista. Remember this is a SERVER OS. Not a desktop. Not everything will run. While this may have the core of Vista it is not built exactly like Vista and not everything will run like on Vista. There will be some incompatibilities. Like Anti-Virus for 1. This could be another. It could just be that it isn't designed to run in a Server environment. Or in a workstation environment.

The only thing i can say is uninstall BioShock and reinstall it with XP SP2 compatibility. See if that works. If installing it right thru Windows Server 08 produced this error there might not be a fix for it. Since i would guess that file would be installed with the game.

BioShock, failed to initialize games data..? [Archive] - 2K Forums

I remembered just a minute ago that while snooping around Vista's folder(s) layout, I came across Program Data>Microsoft>Windows>GameExplorer
and I thought hmm, well I have no 'installed' Games Explorer, there's no GUI for it, so why is this folder tree here? I thought it might just be an imprint written by default just to keep the OS from complaining.

However it turns out, if you look in the folder you'll find sub-folders titled with (if not) something similar to a registry entry. If you open them up, you'll find the folders:

"Playtasks"
"Supportasks"

Open the Playtasks and you may see a "0" or "1" sub-folder.
From what it seems, the 0 is for native game (based on current OS) version, and the 1 is for compatibility/dx9 version.

In either you will find a "Play" executable, with an icon of the game.

From running that executable, the game should launch without errors(provided nothing ELSE is wrong).

From what i understand it seems that BioShock isnt compatible with Server 08 just like i guessed. Unless you try and run it from those locations mentioned in the quote. Must be somethign with how the executable files are created with Server 08/Vista 64 that cause this folder not to be found.

game eplorer is the game menu in vista, i just need to get it for my server 08, aparently alot of games for windows require it. its something i can get for my os that isnt part of the game files.

This isnt just something you can install on Server 08 mate. It is still not going to be supported. Server 08 is a Server based OS and as i have already said, not intended to be used as a Desktop OS.

You can go ahead and try to create the folders and that. But there is no real exe file that accompanies the Game Explorer. There is something on the start menu but all that brings up is a folder. Which sure enough has the files from teh location Program Data>Microsoft>Windows>GameExplorer.

But you can try. I have search my Vista install that i am on and there is the folder there. But jsut creating it in Server does NOT garantee that the game will work.

yes i know but i need to download the .exe this has happend with many things there was somethign else i added called gameux.dll and i instaled that to support gamesl iek fear, which now works wasnt supose to before but does now. all i need help with is to find a way o instal teh gameexplorer, some peopel have even instaled media center on server 08, so i know this can be done just not how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom