BioShock and FreeSpace 2, Same problem: Refuses Window Focus, Crash on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
Every time I try to start BioShock or FreeSpace 2, it goes to a black screen for a few seconds, and then minimizes to the taskbar. When I try to select it again, it will still just show the black screen for a few seconds and then minimize again. I cannot get it to load/play, and have to quit it by right-clicking to exit on the taskbar, at which point I get an application crash that triggers Windows Error Reporting. The ONLY difference between BioShock and FreeSpace 2 is that the momentary black screen is accompanied by a brief moment of sound in FS2

BioShock, Retail Version 1.0.0.0.
FreeSpace 2, Version 1.0.0.1

System Information:

Hardware:
Mobo: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
Chipset: nForce 650i SLI North, nForce 430i South
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2GHz
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
RAM: 2 GB G.Skill Dual-Channel DDR2-800 D9GMH Micron @ 1:1 FSB
Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1

Software:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Direct-X 9.0c
Sound Driver: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 5.12.1.514 (6/13/2007)
Video Driver: nVIDIA GeForce 8800 6.14.11.6371 (9/17/2007)

ViewSonic Optiquest Q20WB flat-panel LCD, Native Resolution: 1680x1050

Have you checked for any patches or updates to the games?

it actually ran an autopatcher right after install, so I'll assume it's current (BioShock)

As for FS2, there may be newer versions of the SCP, but probably not of the retail client (at least not that are available for download anywhere).

Ok... it looks like I can get BioShock to *run* by setting my monitor resolution to 1024x768... it's just distorted, pixely and generally fugly if I do.

FS2 just continues to crash.

How can I fix the resolution problem in BioShock?

What version of pixel shaders does your card support. I think you need V3.0.I don't know if that would be a problem just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom