A cautionary tale!
Had all sorts of problems trying to update my BIOS. Here is the story.
1. I installed the updater from the Asus A8N-SLI deluxe motherboard CD that came with the motherboard
2. When run. there was an immedate requirement to update to the updater
3. I duly updated to 7.04.01
4. I tried to update from one or other of their sites but each time I got: "Sorry!, there's no proper BIOS image on the server"
5. So I tried to update from a file in which I had downloaded and unzipped version 1016.001
6. Got a message: "Asus Window base BIOS Flash program has encountered a problem and needs to close"
7. A message was sent to Microsoft and a form completed and sent to them
8. They replied that the updater might not work with my setup and please try 6.10.02
9 I downloaded, unzipped and installed 6.10.02
10 . I ran it sucessfully, but immediately it notified to update the updater before accessing their servers.
11. So, as I had the unzipped 1016.001 file, I inserted it into 6.10.02
12. It worked and I have updated the BIOS from 1012 to 1006.001 beta sucessfully.
13. Asus have now said that 7.04.01 only works on "newer"
motherboards than my A8N-SLI deluxe - ha, ha!