Biggest Windows Problem Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relapse

Solid State Member
I have a really important problem that needs to be fixed ASAP. My computer is a COMPAQ Presario 5000, and it isn't working at all. I used a recovery CD to delete everything on the computer, but I later found that it was for my COMPAQ laptop. After that, I tried using another recovery CD that made the problem even worse. Now when I start my computer, I get something that resembles MSDOS with a blinking command line that reads A:>. I found the correct recovery CD, but when I start my computer, it doesn't run. Help me please...
:(

You need to go into your BIOS and change the setting so that instead of reading the A:\ drive, it reads the optical drive.

No you dont have to open it. When you first power on your computer, you should get a screen that has the Compaq logo. Around that time you will see a message like, "Press F8 to enter setup." Whatever key it asks you to press, press it. Once there go look for the boot order settings, and set your CD ROM to be first.

No you don't have to open up your computer. When most computers startup they display a logo for example your Compaq probably displays the compaq logo, when this occurs they usually say something like press del to enter setup, once you press the del key the computer would enter the BIOS. Now as far as your computer goes the key required to enter setup (Setup is the BIOS) may be different, but most manufactures use something like F1, F10, or del. Take a look at your computers manual to find out which key to press to enter your BIOS. Now as far as changing the drive that the computer looks at to boot off of this could be under several names it depends on your BIOS. Again take a look at your computers manual. It's most likely an option named something like Boot Device Priority or boot order or something along those lines and it's probably in a menu labeled advanced. ThatÂ’s the best I can tell you at the moment, I don't have a Compaq Presario 5000 so I can't give you exact instructions as far as what the setting is called and where it would be found in your BIOS. As I said above take a look at your manual for detailed instructions.

-GrayWolf

Here's what complicates the problem even more:

> The COMPAQ logo shows up

> There is no setup function

Here's exactly what it reads after the logo:

Starting Windows 98...

Microsoft Windows RAMDrive version 3.06 virtual disk E:
Disk size: 3,076k
Sector size: 512 bytes
Allocation unit: 2 sectors
Directory entries: 64

ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver version V 1.23A
1 drive(s) detected
unit 1, MASTER, IRQ 15, I/O address 0X0170

MODE prepare code page function completed

MODE select code page function completed
MSCDEX Version 2.25
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1986-1995. All rights reserved.
Drive N: Driver IDECCD001 unit 0

A:>_

Heres what you do next:

Right after you hit the power button to turn on the computer, start tapping F8, Esc, and Del. Dont press the keys at the same time, but alternate quickly through them, and repeat.

And I want to fix the problem w/o my parents knowing what happened and w/o contacting the manufacturer.

I need a way to install all my drivers back in, because i think they were all uninstalled by that dang virus that caused me to reboot my computer in the first place.

:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom