Big Text Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiserBasara

Baseband Member
I opened a log from my NoNameScript which was a log of the channel for a few months. It's really big. It's just a text file, but it's so slow when you open it, it's practically crashing the computer. OF course, it succesfully opens, but it's really a pain

I have a fast computer too

emachines T3025
3000+ AMD Athlon XP Processor
160 GB Hard Drive
CD-RW 48x Max Write
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
DVD 16x Max Read
512 MB DDR SDRAM
10/100 Mbps Ethernet

Even a huge text file shouldn't slow the computer down as much as your implying. Check to make sure your not running any unnecessary programs or applications(ctrl+alt+del). If that doesn't work do a virus scan of your hard drive. and see what comes up.

All I set to start up were AVG Virus SCanner and my Nvidia graphics card stuff.

Even when I set nothing to start up, the graphics card is slow

I don't think much else is running right now

But my computer is relatively fast. It's been getting slower lately, though, but it's only a year old. It's always run big text files slow

Hi Kaiser
Something pretty obvious, yet, have you defragmented? perhaps this is a reason for the slowdown, as you deal with large files, maybe the drivez fragmented.

Do you reccomend CleanUp! to clean up the computer and make it faster? It gets rid of temporary files and doesnt get in the way of my firefox history. The thing is, I had it on my other computer, and my McAfee said it was suspicious when I installed it

Of course, it's no substitute for a defrag. My little brother used some other defrag program and it stopped at 99%. I dont' know if he finished it

I defragged it, and there's 55% of my disk space used. That's like 100 gigs.

It still opens the log file pretty slow

But it's fine with game faqs

I've seen big files slow down a computer. That file must be big, have you checked to see what the file size is? Try opening it in edit to see if it's any better.

You might want to do a disk cleanup and chkdsk before a defrag. Your computer will perform better with regular disk cleanup and defrag.

KaiserBasara said:
Do you reccomend CleanUp! to clean up the computer and make it faster? It gets rid of temporary files and doesnt get in the way of my firefox history. The thing is, I had it on my other computer, and my McAfee said it was suspicious when I installed it

Of course, it's no substitute for a defrag. My little brother used some other defrag program and it stopped at 99%. I dont' know if he finished it

CCleaner is also a good one. Defrag in safe mode if you are using the built in. You could also opt for a third party tool with automatic features as a regular option, as its faster and defrags the MFT and paging file also.

The log is 2.68 MB

Do you suggest I go to safe mode THEN do chkdisk, disk cleanup, and defrag?

Disk Cleanup takes forever. CleanUp! is a lot faster. But still, I dont know if it's safe!

"You could also opt for a third party tool with automatic features as a regular option, as its faster and defrags the MFT and paging file also."

I don't know what's a good one. I can try searching softpedia, but everything, including the new aol, get's a good review there. Download.com is also pretty bad

If it has defrag built in, I don't want it to get rid of the regular defrag program. I don't want to mess around with my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom