Big Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

snafupen

Baseband Member
hey...i installed pccillin 2002 on my computer....then ran a disk check. it porceeded to find one virus in a file...but the file wasnt important. after the disk check...none of the programs on my computer will run. ive defragmented the disk and did a disk check nothing works. it says that the computer could not find *.exe or one of its components when i try to open programs.....HELP....do i need to reformat?? i hope not. but whatever.

what was the file with the virus? what was the virus? and what executable was the system looking for?

im not sure which virus it was....but the file was a desktop theme....the system looks for the executable of the program you click on....like i open internet explorer ad it says 'cannot find iexplore5.exe or one of its components' or something like that

im using win 2k

im thinking ill have to reformat...itll be better in the long run....but should i format it ntfs or fat32?

first i think you should try and find a replacement of the missing file, and if that doesn't work format to FAT32. FAT32 doesn't use compression methods but this makes it slightly faster so you get better gaming performance, and if you want to network with other computers FAT32 is a lot more compatible file system

NTFS as i understand it is more just about security (i.e for buisnesses) Feel free to tell me im wrong lol :)

NTFS is the best!...pyro is correct...more secure due to the encryption feature.. theres no noticable performance slow downs/degrdation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom