Bet you can't figure this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax670

Baseband Member
First off, I would like to say, I tried searching and only found one thread that helped me, either not a lot of people have this problem, or I am really bad at searching, but I did try for at least 45 mins.

I have already reformatted the hard drive of my HP dv5000 series laptop twice. When I try to install Windows Media Center 2005 from the disk that came with the laptop, it will not copy the file cyycoins.chm and a whole laundry list of other files.

So, I got another copy of windows media center 2005 and tried that. Same thing happened, same file would not copy. And of course others.

Memtest is just about done with its first pass and it has found no errors.

I have considered it being the DVD drive itself, but found that kind of unlikely, but I may try that, what do you think?

Why cant I install Windows?

What can I try?

CD/DVD drive problem? Is this a legit copy?

Try skipping the file :D, I did that once on 2000 Pro, skip a file it couldn't copy and never had a problem. But you shouldn't.

The second copy that I tried is not legit, however; it booted just like any other windows installer, and seeing as it stalled at the same file, I doubt it's that but correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

Usually when I run into that error it's a RAM issue, either defective or incompatible. So let memtest/memtest+ do a few passes to be thorough.

I don't find it likely, but I don't suppose we can rule out the hard drive completely, probably best to do a full sector scan, if for no other reason to make sure the controller is communicating with the drive properly.

I think you can skip it safely, that file is a HTML help file. so if thats the only file u cant copy give skippin it a shot.

Powermax is Maxtor's hard drive diagnostic utility. You can get it from their website, but the newer version doesn't run on non-Maxtor drives.

I recommend burning a boot cd from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
that should have the utility from whoever manufactured your hard drive, or you can use the old versions of Powermax or Seatools (Seagate diag) for any generic drive.

Hmm... try doing this, copy the i386 folder directly to the hdd in a folder created by you (name it something like your name temp, to make sure you wont create a folder windows will be using. Example, do not create a folder called winnt, temp, etc... something unique. Anyhow, copy the files over, then go into that folder and run winnt. If the files copy over, it should run the installation off the HDD instead.

killians45 said:
Hmm... try doing this, copy the i386 folder directly to the hdd in a folder created by you (name it something like your name temp, to make sure you wont create a folder windows will be using. Example, do not create a folder called winnt, temp, etc... something unique. Anyhow, copy the files over, then go into that folder and run winnt. If the files copy over, it should run the installation off the HDD instead.

yeah because you got a cheap cd rom drive (dvd burner?). you can try a usb cd rom drive too.

this is usually a ram isse or a cheap rom drive. a lot of new cd dvd drives (the one that cost 30 bucks) can't read windows xp install files,but all old drives that work do

I ran into this problem many a time and switch cd rom drive have always fixed it. it real easy too tell if the ram is doing it because memtest will show immediate errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom