Best Workflow to Clear Up Harddrive

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Hey,
Long time no see Tech-Forums! I see that a lot has changed since I last was here!

Do you guys have any workflow/software recommendations to aid with clearing up data?

My Current Workflow
1) Run Treesize (Free) on the Main hard-drive
2) Run Look for any folders that are occupying a lot of space.
3) Delete files that can be recoverable. (i.e. backup files, files downloaded over the internet)
4) Repeat process.

I'm specifically looking for a way to detect duplicate files or unused files.

If I'm going through this whole process, would you recommend upgrading to Windows 8?

I'm currently using Windows 7. I'm a videographer as well with a lot of graphics!

There are plenty of pieces of software out there that can detect and delete duplicate files. I have found at least 3 of them from MajorGeeks, another few from Download Squad not to mention the ones they have on download.com as well. So you could easily use any number of apps to reduce that project down for you.

I would highly suggest you dont just delete randomd unused files within the Windows folder. That could easily lead to issues you cant recover from.

The Winodws 8 subject is very touchy here. So many people have a bad taste in their mouth just cause of the look of it. I have been using it daily for a while now and I honestly wont go back to Vista/Win7. There are many perks to running Win8, if you can get over the fact that the Start Menu is gone. There are apps out there that can replicate it, but since core files of the start menu are now gone from the OS code, they have to be installed like apps.

I do like Majorgeeks it has a good collection of tools and I have found some useful stuff on there over the years
I also like ninite.com while it has mainly standard software their installer and site is not blocked by most malware and allows you to still install tools like malwarebytes even when the virus blocks you going to the malwarebytes site, but additionally the site makes it easy to install multiple apps without any effort lol

Hey guys wanted to thank you for the response!

I'll check Major Geeks out!

What's ninite.com's history?

Back
Top Bottom