best way to go from XP Home to Win7 ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfman

Beta member
I'm running XP Home at the moment, and want to upgrade to Windows 7 sometime here.

I've heard that the only way to do an "upgrade" install to Windows 7 Ultimate is if you have Vista ultimate installed. And that the only way to upgrade to Vista Ultimate is to go from XP Pro.

Although I know it's better, I really would like to avoid the hassle of doing a clean install.

What do you suggest is the best way to go about doing this?

Is there any software available that will make it at least a bit easier on me?

My main concern all the software and games I have installed. The massive amount of tweaking I do with settings, and all my game data, and stuff like that, I would like to keep the same without hours upon hours of re-setting them the way they are. Is there a way to transfer all that easily? I have a second hard drive available, if there's a way to easily transfer settings from one OS to another on diff hd's.

IMO the EASIEST install is a clean one. I try to avoid upgrades like the plague. There are too many bugs and tweaks needed when upgrading an OS in my opinion. The ONLY time this should be done is when you do not have some of the software programs that you have installed.

You can't 'copy' the games and settings over to another drive then 'copy' them onto the new installation. It isn't that easy. There are registry items written so that the OS can communicate with the programs and games. So just copying the 'games' folder will not work.

My suggestion would be to gather all the software together and backup your data and saved files to a DVD or external drive. It isn't difficult and you are making it sound way more comlicated then it is. IMO upgrading is more of a hassle.

Is there any software available that will make it at least a bit easier on me?

My main concern all the software and games I have installed. The massive amount of tweaking I do with settings, and all my game data, and stuff like that, I would like to keep the same without hours upon hours of re-setting them the way they are. Is there a way to transfer all that easily? I have a second hard drive available, if there's a way to easily transfer settings from one OS to another on diff hd's.

There is no other way. Even Microsoft has said it themselves that there will be no upgrade option from XP to Win7.

The only thing you could do is dual boot between XP and Win7. After you get Win7 installed you could use the file settings transfer wizard. But that does not guarantee that all your game tweaks will move over.

I thought I remember hearing something about a file setting transfer thing. I looked up more on it, and I found THIS, which was something I saw a long time ago and forgot the specifics of.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/easy-transfer.aspx

Going to Vista first before going to 7 is an option, and I have plenty of other computers around that I would be able to do a computer to computer transfer of. Would that do more or less what I want?

Upgrades are tricky at best. Even going from XP to Vista might not take properly. From what you said you have a lot of customizations, which any modification to any system files would cause serious issues when trying to upgrade. So i would take a look at what mods you have done, and if they messed with system files. cause if they did, it is more than likely that upgrading to Vista will fail, and cause the upgrade to Win7 to fail as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom