Best Way To Format (DBAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowan_7

Solid State Member
Hi,

I was thinking about reformating my computer back to scratch.. now for some reason.. the day I got my computer it was running like a bullet, but when I have reformated and installed the os again it seems slower than it could be...

Now I got told a program DBAN or something completely clears your computer of everything.. so you should do that then install windows and your off to a brand new full speed computer.

Is all this true?

Thanks,

Rowan

Well this is what I usually do:

1) Put my windows xp disc in and restart..

2) itll load up, ill go the partition bit and delete the one thats there.. then I go to unpartitioned space, and install into that with full (not quick) leave that for around an hour... then thats it.

Im I doing that the best way?

DBAN is a program that runs from a Floppy/CD/USB Stick to securely wipe a partition or hard drive. Its only really useful if you don't what the data to be recovered. Its overkill if your formatting a drive to reinstall windows.

As for speed issues, yeah Window's performance will degrade because of fragmentation of the filesystem. Defragmenting will help, but a complete reinstall will give better result.

download powermax and use it's quick erase feature. it write 0's to the first 300mb and the last 100mb, but quick erase the rest. that will clear the computer of any bootsector viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom