Best video compression software that is free? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 216
Default Best video compression software that is free?

I need to compress a 1.25 gb avi down to size so it fits on a CD... what is the best free software that will do this, that keeps the same size of the origional? (1024 x 768) Thanks.
__________________

madcat75 is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,339
Default

divX - if you want to play the file


divX then WinRAR- if you want to store it.
__________________

__________________
<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Tyler1989 is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

auto gk
or windows media encoder. winrar can't shrink video
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,538
Default

mplayer/mencoder......most precompiled windows versions have libdvdcss,XviD, and MPEG4 included, way faster than anything else
horndude is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 849
Send a message via Yahoo to ZeroX
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
auto gk
or windows media encoder. winrar can't shrink video
well if you put the file inside a .rar file it will compress the file in size, not as much as he wants though.

i would go with divx, since you can even get divx dvd players that will read them.
__________________
<a href=\"http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=0&amp;t=62\"><img border=\"0\" alt=\"Get Firefox!\" title=\"Get Firefox!\" src=\"http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/110x32/take.gif\"/></a>
<a href=\"http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=0&amp;t=181\"><img border=\"0\" alt=\"Get Thunderbird!\" title=\"Get Thunderbird!\" src=\"http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/thunderbird/thunderbird_small.png\"/></a>
<a href=\"http://my.opera.com/USERNAME/affiliate/\" title=\"Download Opera\" ><img src=\"http://promote.opera.com/small/opera88x31.png\" width=\"88\" height=\"31\" alt=\"Download Opera\" /></a>
ZeroX is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroX
well if you put the file inside a .rar file it will compress the file in size, not as much as he wants though.

i would go with divx, since you can even get divx dvd players that will read them.
cay you guys show show evidence? back in the day everybody was trying new compression techniques for video. rar and zip weren't among them as you would have a file the exact same size.
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,339
Default

That is why I said

Use divX if you want to play the disc


Use divX then put it in winRAR if you want to store the disc.





Eric it does compress but not by much I was able to push a 2.57 meg file into a 2.54 meg file with winrar. Regardless your correct the difference is not worth mentioning just use divX.
__________________
<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Tyler1989 is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,538
Default

zipping or rar'ing a video file wont do squat..........text files compress well, video does not
horndude is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,538
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler1989
That is why I said

Use divX if you want to play the disc


Use divX then put it in winRAR if you want to store the disc.
absolutley no need for the extra step of rar'ing a file to store it on a disc, just put it on there as is
horndude is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,339
Default

Why didn't you quote the rest of my message....


Quote:
Eric it does compress but not by much I was able to push a 2.57 meg file into a 2.54 meg file with winrar. Regardless your correct the difference is not worth mentioning just use divX.
__________________

__________________
<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Tyler1989 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.