Best software to backup my PCs and Mac to a NAS? Advice with backup plan

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi there,

I've been putting off having a decent backup plan for years now. Thankfully, I've never lost any data. But I am fully aware that that's just my lovely luck. (One of my internals on my desktop started dying last year. I was able to buy a new one and copy everything to it before it did. I ended up sending it back and received a new one).

Anyways, I have 4 PCs and a Mac at home, and was looking into purchasing a NAS and have them all backup to it. Unfortunately, I was not able to find any good options within budget (there were just too many negative reviews and instances of failure with the Seagate, WD, Iomega, and Buffalo NAS that I researched) so I probably will be purchasing an external USB 3.0 one and connect it to my WD TV Live Hub (which is connected to my network).

As I have never actually had any backup plan set, I could use some advice regarding your experience with backup software. I don't think I need to have bootable clones. Just the ability to select the folders I want to backup (documents, pictures, movies etc...) from each of the computers, and have the software automatically backup to a NAS (or to an external connected to my Live Hub).

I'm not sure if the fact that I have both Macs and PCs would change things. I have a feeling it will make things trickier though.

Thanks

Rawan

I have a D-Link DNS-320 NAS box. Has been working great since day one. i currently have 2 x 640GB WD Blues in RAID 1. That may change in the future when i can afford 1-1.5TB drives.

It will share it over the network, using Samba. It will be readable to Windows as well as Macs.

I think it also has an option for incremential backups, but I'm not 100% sure on that, As I have never used it.

Double post, sry... Internet was screwy..

Thanks for your reply. I was actually asking about software I could use, as I probably won't be using that which comes with whichever drive I decide to get.

I have seen the DNS-320. It falls a bit out of my budget though. (around $100 without any drives, was hoping to pay that much for a 1 TB NAS).

Should we keep this thread A reliable budget NAS? Any experience with WD, Seagate, Buffalo, Iomega ones? for the actual NAS drives, and keep this for the backup software?

Thanks again

SyncToy is the best software I can think of to use to backup on Windows. I dont know about Mac software. But SyncToy will allow you to pick the files, where to store them and allow them to be backed up when changes are made.

SyncToy is the best software I can think of to use to backup on Windows. I dont know about Mac software. But SyncToy will allow you to pick the files, where to store them and allow them to be backed up when changes are made.

Thank you KSoD. Will definitely look at that option.

Anyone knows any good Mac options?

Thanks again

Probably not in this area. After all it is the Microsoft Windows section. ;)

I can move it to the Apple Area for you if you wish.

Haha.. Good point..

Should I create another thread in the Mac section, or would I be accused of double posting?

PS: One of my concerns is having both Mac and Windows backups on the same hard disk. Would you think it should case a problem?

Haha.. Good point..

Should I create another thread in the Mac section, or would I be accused of double posting?

PS: One of my concerns is having both Mac and Windows backups on the same hard disk. Would you think it should case a problem?

Well you could create a new topic, but since you already got your answer here, moving it would be no issue at all. That way you can have your software answer all contained within 1 topic to save yourself trouble in the future if you want to revert back. You can even contact me to move it back to Windows area if you want. I will leave it up to you. Since you are looking for something that is outside the realm of this area, you are more than welcome to link to this topic and ask for Mac Software in the Apple area. I will allow it. ;) :lol:

Back
Top Bottom