Best Security Setup

Am I the only one here who prefers to do things the hard way when working on a paying customers machine?

Apparently. Use the tools if they're available to you, IMO. You're not make an axe out of a rock, stick, and string to chop down a tree if you have a perfectly working chainsaw usable ;).

I do basic manual removal to make the programs run easier (i.e. remove from msconfig, delete from AppData, etc.).

Yea except, programs have always been known to leave something behind. I prefer to make sure the machine is absolutely clean ;)

That is if you dont go in and clean up behind them and remove any trace they were there....:rolleyes::p

If I'm going to go through the trouble then might as well do it all myself :D
That's why I assumed "the hard way" was running the various malware programs to root out the infection, and the "easy way" is just re-installing the operating system.

I say, if you decide to use programs to get rid of malware, you better do all that you can to make sure it's gone, or else you might've as well just recovered the os instead of wasting time.

I use knowledge of what is supposed to be running to look and physically see what process is running and get rid of it. Then use dump files and Hijackthis logs to manually take out the rest. In the end, use a simple virus scan and 99.9% of the time I got everything out myself. I then go the extra mile to put in place ways to block whatever happened from happening again.

Does anyone have a recommendation for "Spring Cleaning" style cleanup, start to finish if it's not to much to ask. I just got a request to clean up a friends machine that got bogged down from clicking things he shouldn't have.

Much Appreciated, :)

Does anyone have a recommendation for "Spring Cleaning" style cleanup, start to finish if it's not to much to ask. I just got a request to clean up a friends machine that got bogged down from clicking things he shouldn't have.

Much Appreciated, :)

I have found that just running Advance System Care's utilities, is a great way to "spring cleanup". I've been using it for years. That along with Avast free, are just very user friendly. It takes some of the unnecessary trash out, as well as tidies up your OS. I do agree though, going through manually (msconfig, startup, etc.) is a sure-fire way to make sure your PC is clean and in optimum performance condition.

My original post was mostly directed toward specific programs. It looks like the common response has been MBAM, Avast and old-fashioned removal of files/registries.

I appreciate all the great responses!

I happily use Norton 360. I know for certain that for a number of years Norton really messed up their program by permitting it to be total bloatware. There was also a 2-3 year period when people could not even uninstall the program unless you downloaded a special uninstaller.

After that fiasco, I promised myself never, never again. Many people were absolutely infuriated after being unable to uninstall the program and having their computer slow to an absolute crawl.

Then, in 2009, I read at the #1 anti virus website [http://www.av-comparatives.org/] that Norton had undergone a tremendous change. They were actually rated #1 in the world for that year by this relatively unbiased site.

Please go and read some of the website before putting me in your crosshairs and firing away...

I decided to give Norton a try again. I have been totally happy ever since. They really did do a great job of cleaning it up.

I have also tried Bit Defender, Kaspersky, Avast, Panda, Trend Micro, AVira, AVG, MS Security Essential and some others...

Both Bit Defender and Kaspersky caused me some terrible problems.

MS Security Essentials did fine and it was free. I nearly always install MS Security Essentials while building a new system. I have received major infections when using AVG and Avast....but Malware Bytes cured most of these problems.

I really like Norton 360. I have installed it on every computer I own as well as many of the computers I have built. So far, all is good. Perhaps the biggest factor is I do not pay any money for Norton 360, but, rather, after sending in the rebates, I normally make $30-$40 dollars per package. That is a big plus for me too.

There are still two programs I would like to try:

ESET Antivirus

VIPREAntivirus

I have heard great reports on both of these programs.

Soar

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom