Best program for images. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Jam3s-Zer0 Send a message via AIM to Jam3s-Zer0 Send a message via Yahoo to Jam3s-Zer0
Default Best program for images.

Hi,
Can anyone recommend me the best software to create an image of my hard drive which I can burn onto a Dvd disk then when I format my hard drive, I can restore the image direct from the disk without needing any other software?

Thanks
James

Old 10-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Meithan Send a message via Yahoo to Meithan

Are you aware that a DVD can only hold 4.7GB, while HDDs hold usually above 50GB?

SuperPi 1M: 29.6s - 3DMark06: 8616
The Geek Test v3.1 Score: 36.3% - Major Geek
Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Jam3s-Zer0 Send a message via AIM to Jam3s-Zer0 Send a message via Yahoo to Jam3s-Zer0

Yes I am, I obviously only want to create a image of the data on the hard drive not the 50+gb free space

Since the clean installation of windows + tweaks + program + files that will be on the Hard drive will only take up ~1Gb its ok.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Meithan Send a message via Yahoo to Meithan

Ah, that's a different story then. Are you looking to backup only data or also the OS and installed apps? When you say "image" I imagine you mean that you want to put the DVD back in after formatting and recover your system and configs as they were before.

SuperPi 1M: 29.6s - 3DMark06: 8616
The Geek Test v3.1 Score: 36.3% - Major Geek
Old 10-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Ah kk, I guess I should of explained it better. Looking to backup the whole OS + apps and ye after formatting put the disk in and recove the system exactly how it was.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Use Acronis or Norton Ghost, you will need to have them compressed to the highest level, then spanned across several dvds
Old 10-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

but fresh installation of Windows + all my files + programs only is about 1GB so won't the image be ~1gb?

Also is it possible to restore the image from a disk when the hard drive will be completely formatted?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

but fresh installation of Windows + all my files + programs only is about 1GB so won't the image be ~1gb? = It will be more than a gig unless you compress it, which will make it very small

Also is it possible to restore the image from a disk when the hard drive will be completely formatted? = Yes, its called image restore
Old 10-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Ok thanks mate.

So what do you recommend, True Image or Ghost and they both have image restore?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Alcohol 120% works great for burning ISO's.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Closed Thread