Best OS Option for new computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennykyser

Baseband Member
I want to run Windows XP Professional on the computer I am building. I have several old Win 98, Win 98se, Win ME disks that are no longer in use and qualify for the Upgrade Version.

What would you recomend buying the new Windows XP Professional Upgrade, or buying a full version of Windows XP Professsion OEM. cost is very close to the same.

From what I understand the OEM version has no support, the upgrade version does.

Full Version all the way. You can get all the support you need here and often times, better and quicker support.

Why would media center be cheaper than just plain win xp? i thought media center is suppose to run on better computers (assuming richer owners)..

get full version if your not sure, as it's a pain in the a** to install one OS and then upgrade into Win xp if you ever want to reformat..

furtivefelon said:
Why would media center be cheaper than just plain win xp? i thought media center is suppose to run on better computers (assuming richer owners)..

get full version if your not sure, as it's a pain in the a** to install one OS and then upgrade into Win xp if you ever want to reformat..

to get optimium perforcemance, you need a 3 gig processer and 1 gig ram (that's just for the media center part, though the rest is fine). I didn't run it successfully on a 2 gig, 512 mb machine (the video that I recorded with my MCE certified tuner, Nvidia's NVTV , was kind of jerky though)

the cheapest price I have seen for xp pro is $159.00. I now that you can get home for $99.00.

It all depends on what it is used for and how much of a "Geek" the user is. Some people just dont need what Pro offers and therefor should just stick with Home. I would reveiw the pros and cons of both and see which is correct for the user. I know i have found Pro to be best for me but my sister and grandparents use Home just fine. They dont need all the techy stuff htat Pro offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom