Best OS for my Needs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like2game

Baseband Member
I have everything i need for my build now except my OS. This is my first "from scratch" build. I know i need 64bit vista but i don't know which one to go for. I saw prices that ranged from $150 - $400 (CAD). The parts i have are:
Evga 680i Sli MOBO
Q6700 CPU with Zalmans Heatsynk
500gig 32mb cache Seagate SATA HDD
TX750 Corsair PSU
2x2gig Crucial Ballistix pc-6400 RAM
gtx260 core 216 GPU (second one coming in 12-18months)
LG DVD-ROM (EIDE for now but SATA coming)
Generic Floppy drive
24 Dell ultrasharp HC monitor
Logitech Z-5500 speakers

Some of the things i am confused about are if i need to buy DOS. Also, i was curious as to if i need any features in Ultimate or Premium. I am liking the price reduction in OEM packs but not sure on risk. This computer is going to be used for gaming mainly but also for playing music, making mix cds, backing up dvds, watch HD-dvd/Blu-ray (through a virtual drive now and through a physical rom in the future). I also saw service packs. Like "Vista64 Ultimate SP1" or just "Vista64 Ultimate". When you buy the service pack does it come with everything you need ? Or if i buy regular Vista do i get to upgrade the service pack free ? Sorry for being so noobish on this, before today i just thought you either chose Ultimate, Premium, Home, or Basic and than just either 64bit or 32bit. Any tips or advice on what to get and where to get it would be awesome, I am in Canada.

I am pretty sure you do not need to buy DOS. I believe 6.1 is the latest ;-) No seriously you do not need or want DOS 6.1 I think it was released in 1995. For what you are looking to do the home premium version will have everything you need. You will want SP1 but you can download it once you have installed your OS. Service Packs are always free downloads from Microsoft as long as you have a legit copy of windows.

LOL, i just wasn't sure if you needed DOS installed to install windows. So OEM is 1 machine only ? I thought all copies were limited to one machine (legally anyways).

Thanx for the help guys, looks like i will go for Home Premium 64bit.

I am pretty sure you do not need to buy DOS. I believe 6.1 is the latest ;-) ...

DOS 6.22 was the latest, I keep it on a machine that my school gave to me. It's a dinosaur computer, but I mess around with DOS commands with it from time to time, as well as mess with some batch file stuff. Like making a menu to load old DOS games. I know I'm a bit off-topic, but wanted to mention this. Nope, don't need DOS to load Windows these days.

LOL, i just wasn't sure if you needed DOS installed to install windows. So OEM is 1 machine only ? I thought all copies were limited to one machine (legally anyways).

Thanx for the help guys, looks like i will go for Home Premium 64bit.

Nope, there's VLK versions (Volume License Keys). THose cost more, of course though ;). It's technically 1 activation for OEM (then you have to call to get it reactivated), and 3 activations for a Retail version. No big deal if you have to call to reactivate though...takes 10 minutes, and just gotta tell them you reinstalled your copy of Windows, and it was only on 1 machine.

You wont need DOS. If you have some REALLY old games that need DOS to run. There is a DOS port application for Windows. I know someone knows the exact name for it. I cant think of it off hand. All you need is Vista Home Premium. The rest can be added on.

You wont need DOS. If you have some REALLY old games that need DOS to run. There is a DOS port application for Windows. I know someone knows the exact name for it. I cant think of it off hand. All you need is Vista Home Premium. The rest can be added on.

DOSBox?

Yeah i think that is it! Thank you. I knew there was something out there. That is 1 of them. I have heard of another as well. But those will be for running older games on Vista. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom