Which is the best MS Windows system for low end PC?

pointerboy

Solid State Member
Greetings.

I'm in dilemma. I have an old computer from 2008. And I'm not sure which operative system (Windows) to install. And no, I don't want a Linux/GNU operative system. During usage years, I used Windows 7 and it was fine. Actually, all Windows systems run pretty fine on old computer. I saw somewhere that Windows 10 has optimized kernel. But I'm not sure if it optimized enough for 2008 PC. The thing is, Windows 8.1 + have 'metro' and search options.

First time I installed Windows 8.1 everything was really fast, including search. I set indexing options properly and let it index everything. Later on, I reinstalled it and installed Windows 10. Search and start menu was so slow. I googled it a bit and nothing happened. Also some 'low end' games were lagging. (I turned off most features from animations to services that I don't use) And each time i reinstall system is different. Sometimes, search and others work properly, next time (reinstallation or upgrading) it is messed up. I feel like it is random.

So, search isn't the point. Some other things are also laggy. For some reason.

I'm not sure which OS to select anymore, Windows 7?

Specs:

Full system specs: https://pastebin.com/A18AHbBA

Also, I'll save up some money to purchase a gaming computer soon. (Trying to avoid question: "Why don't you just buy a better pc?"

I would put Win7 on it if it were me. I doubt Win10 will have drivers for it.

The machine is pretty old, I'd put Windows 7 on it and call it a day. You can run a lot of older games with lower settings on it like Skyrim but I wouldn't try to play anything newer. The biggest problem running Windows 10 is you have only 2GB of RAM.

I would put Win7 on it if it were me. I doubt Win10 will have drivers for it.

Thank You for replying Trotter. I don't know which drivers you're talking about. Display drivers? If so, no problems were found there.

The machine is pretty old, I'd put Windows 7 on it and call it a day. You can run a lot of older games with lower settings on it like Skyrim but I wouldn't try to play anything newer. The biggest problem running Windows 10 is you have only 2GB of RAM.

Yeah. I'm kinda boxed there.

Thank You both for replying. I appreciate it.

Chipset and IME drivers will be stock Windows 10 drivers. This generally isn't a problem for newer machines but it can cause a slowdown on older machines. The biggest issue though is still that 2GB of RAM.

Chipset and IME drivers will be stock Windows 10 drivers. This generally isn't a problem for newer machines but it can cause a slowdown on older machines. The biggest issue though is still that 2GB of RAM.

I see.

Anyway, I've installed Windows 7. Thanks everyone for replying. :silly:

Back
Top Bottom