Best IM Messenger for Windows - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Best IM Messenger for Windows

What is your personal opinion on whats the best instant messenger for windows.

I think Trillian is the best as it lets me connect to AIM, ICQ, IRC, MSN, Yahoo!, and more. I hear GAIM is pretty good also and I've tried it for a week but I still prefer trillian.

Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 08-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

the only ones i've used are AIM and MSN. who is Trillian made by?

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (Thermalright Ultra-120)
Mushkin 2x2GB DDR800 RAM

eVGA GeForce 8800GTS
Creative X-Fi Gamer Edition
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7,200RPM
Western Digital Caviar 640GB 7,200RPM
OCZ 720W ModStream
Lian Li PC-7A
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Old 08-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

All of these in one very usefull.

AIM, ICQ, IRC, MSN, Yahoo!, and more.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 08-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

from what i remember, my experience with trillian is that it's instable, AD prone.. Gaim is fast, much faster than MSN Though, on windows platform, i only use msn messegner, purely because the feature set is full, no third party software can compete with that.. I don't use any other network either.. except IRC
browse with: opera
Old 08-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

No way it's not unstable you must have tried 1.0 or early 2.0 Beta. Triallian is now on 3.1 and it can't be any more stable. And trillian doesn't come with any ads at all what are you talking about...

Gaim has some great plug ins like AIM MSN and Yahoo!. I use it on my Fedora System can't say I like it though.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Trillian 3.1 Pro is what I use, its stable, never had a problem, no ads, no spyware, etc. The only problem is if you use Beta Explorer 1, you need to replace the msn.dll file, if you dont, Trillain is not usable, it crashes upon initializing. Other than that, its great.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Although it doesn't connect to other instant messaging clients, I really enjoy XFire. It's great if you and you're friends play a lot of online games, as it lists the server that they are in and allows you to join them. Also, the built in downloader that downloads gaming videos and game demos is a nice feature.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I never even heard of that what client connects to that I assume it's a single client and is not in a multi client.

Lucky Warez to have the pro version. Is it worth getting I checked the benefet chart and it didn't seem like it. Also note not many people are using IE7Beta.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member (again)

Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

I love Gaim

I just don't know why, but for the short time I tried Trillian, I didn't like it...

Debian Support Forums!
Old 08-14-2005, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I guess it's all about the preference GAIM and Trillian do the same thing exept trillian has a few more messengers bundled in it (unpopular and you may not use them though). GAIM just feels to much like a Linux app to me.

Closed Thread