Best Anti-Virus? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Best Anti-Virus?

What is the best anti-virus on the market (especially free one's because the price is right, lol)? I have Norton AntiVirus 2004 but TBH from what I've heard Norton is nowhere near the best.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to anarchy

Best anti-virus technology? 'Knowledge' my man. I realize you can't prevent everything but be super careful where you go and what you press "yes" to.

Where did you hear NAV 2004 is not the best? Symmtec has an unimaginable amount of virus definitions. From my knowledge, NAV is the best you can buy.

Search TF!
<form method=\"get\" action=\"\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form></small></font></p></p>
Old 04-22-2004, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to n_derr

I use Norton. live update is an awesome feature. I've had no problems with the software and have not had any viruses since i've installed it.
My PC:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
512 MB 2700 (Soon to be 1gb PC 3200)
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (Soon to be ATI Radeon AIW 9800 Pro)
Old 04-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I would personally have to say Norton. I've always used it...

One problem I did just recently encounter though, was it didn't pick up a trojan I had that changed some of my Registry values, and I wasn't able to change my homepage in IE. I had to get rid of it with Spyware...

...other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing...
Old 04-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I heard Norton tends to miss quite a few viruses... I'm just curious if its possible for Norton to miss viruses that AVG might miss, even tho I have up-to-date definitions.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble
Default Re: Best Anti-Virus?

Originally posted by PhaleProof
What is the best anti-virus on the market

You want my honest answer......

Over all......

NORTON'S - the most user freindly, how ever since it's the most widely used, virus programers have been designment viruses to attack NAV directly.
NAV is also a recourse hog. Especially when you combine them with other Norton's Products.

VET - Great for scanning compressed files. Great for the australian economy as it written in Australia. It's fall over as they are 24 hours later than any body else on virus defintions.

McAffee - I favorite. How ever it's not the world's most user freindly antivirus on the market.

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 04-23-2004, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I've also been using Norton for years, and am happy with it. And as Anarchy said -- "knowledge".

Hedda Lora
Old 04-23-2004, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Norton's is notorious for slowing down machines , and Norton SYstem utilities is the worst for screwing up your hard drive,,

AVG free edition,,free updates, downloads, no spam,, nice ,, doesnt kill the machine,,

likin it large!

put it on all my clients machines,, finds every virus,, no glitches or hiccups,,,

cant beat that !

Crash Abbott

\"You\'re the Disease, and I\'m the Cure!\"
Old 04-23-2004, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

AVG is free, try it, i am using it and its good...
Old 04-24-2004, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

symantec is the best no doubt

My Spyware Site
Under Construction
Closed Thread