Beginner job advice, regarding Microsoft certs.

Michael4422

Beta member
I'm trying to start out in helpdesk or desktop support. I have A+, N+, and no professional experience.

I've had a hard time getting my first position with just these certs. I was hoping to get in the door and learn Microsoft OSes on the job.

So I'm guessing I need to get some Microsoft certs, right? I'm not sure if I should get MTA or just go for MCSA. What OS should I learn first? I'm guessing 7. And as far as the best way to learn. I'm guessing I get a cheap PC with OS 7 so that I have at least some hands on experience while I study.

Thoughts?

And thanks!

(This is a double post form the welcome forum, fyi. I think this is a more appropriate place.)

You should be able to get an entry level position with A+ and Net+. Keep trying, while you are at it get your windows 7 certification as most companies are using that.

Are you still in school?

More certs won't necessarily help, although it's always good to be Microsoft certified. If you're still in school, it would be a good time to look into work study, internships, and volunteer work to get some experience to put on your resume.

Hey Michael, I'm in the same position as you. So, I have a few questions to ask you!

How long did it take you to complete your certs?

Also, are you pursuing a bachelors, or are you staying at your associates?

If so, what classes did you take for your associates?

I hope these questions aren't too personal, thanks for your help!

Hi Chasee,

I can't remember how long it took. I used some of the popular books on those certs, I think Mike Meyers A+ and N+, and watched all the Professor Messer videos. Google him. Good stuff.

I have a BA from years ago. I'm sure it adds credibility but it's in Music! I guess employers want to see those two certs. So I think I'm going to work on MCSA Windows 7 now and then look into security certs.

Also, I'm not pursuing another degree. Just experience!

Good luck, and thanks for ALL replies!

Certificates will never go against you, but more importantly you need to focus on getting work experience or internship under your belt to put your knowledge into practice and highlight your capabilities and potiential.

Good luck.
Susan Smith

Palo Alto PA-7050

Certificates will never go against you, but more importantly you need to focus on getting work experience or internship under your belt to put your knowledge into practice and highlight your capabilities and potiential.

Good luck.
Susan Smith

Palo Alto PA-7050

Agreed.

Not sure if this is something that would interest you, Michael. But for example, I'm about to head into community college and get my associates in desktop support/help desk technician. So, to give me more to show, I also got volunteer work at this place in Houston called "Comp-U-Dopt", a non-profit organization that refurbishes old computers and distributes them to low-salary cities and schools.

If you don't live in Houston, or volunteer work doesn't really do anything for you, look into internships! IBM, Google, Dell, shouldn't be that hard to get into, depending on what the requirements are. One thing that I've learned from my research and networking with successful IT individuals, is that where there's a will, there's a way. IT really isn't such hard work, and with drive and passion it's easy to crawl up the ladder and make some good cash doing it.

I know I don't know much, but I hope I helped some what! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom