BCWipe, other wiping programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsharding

Baseband Member
I'm new to the wiping programs and was wondering if you guys could tell me from experience which really works best? I've heard some really bad things happending so I am really worried about picking the wrong program.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but when using these programs are you doing a background wipe or are you completely wiping your whole hard drive (OS, program files etc.)? Thanks for you help.
Brent

First, I have a hard drive I may be selling soon or give to my girlfriend. I would like to clean it before i pass it on. Also my dad's computer has received several attacks so I was thinking a wipe would help clean his files and registry. I am also curious about these programs as I do not know much about them.
Thanks

BCwipe is similar to Window Washer programs. Why? Do it yourself. These programs are UNNECESSARY.

When I had a problem with my hard drive, I did a "system restore." All I did was as the computer was starting up, I hit "F10" and then hit "Ok" to whatever it asked me to do. When it was finished it was like a brand new computer. Its nice because it keeps Windows intact, but it takes off ALL of your information. I would suggest to do that. But make sure you back up EVERYTHING.

Oh, and my hard drive worked perfectly after that. :p

BCWipe, gdisk, and Kremlin are good wiping programs. you should wipe the entire disk becuase the point is to not leave any recoverable data. shredding individual files doesn't seem as safe to me. generally I use only a few wipes instead of the default 7, that takes much too long.

Thanks, I just want to make sure I stay away from the ones that seem to cause trouble. I was recommended BCWipe by a professor and many others, but then I saw a post online saying the program didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom