Batch file or something to kill a process or user at login in XP Pro SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
I tried Taskkill, but it simply doesn't work. I have one machine that no matter who logs in, it starts a process under a user that is not logged in. It's for a program we need, but if the process is already running, we get an error when the user tries to run the program. You can kill it in task manager, but that's just annoying to have to do every time. I tried taskkill with the /f and /t parameters,

@ echo off
taskkill /f /t /im program.exe

but it pops up the cmd window and if you have echo off it's just a black screen that stays there forever. If echo off is not included, the command runs indefinitely. And the process never dies.

I've looked in msconfig for it, not there. Looked in all users, start menu programs startup folder, not there.

So, I need a batch file that runs at startup that either kills off user john123 or kills process program.exe. I can't seem to prevent either one from happening. I can uninstall the program and naturally it doesn't happen, but we use this program all day every day. I am guessing it's somewhere in a login script that our corporate honks put in, but they don't allow me to change those.
We are on a domain if that matters.

If I log in as the user in question, there's no problem at all because it allows the program to run. But we have multiple users that use this machine.

HELP!

What the heck is going on with this thread??? Every post is being deleted?? Okay mods or admins please do tell why? Some of those suggestions were logical including my task manager idea

Downloaded a program called Auto Kill Any Process, worked once. Didn't work after a logout/logon.

What the heck is going on with this thread??? Every post is being deleted?? Okay mods or admins please do tell why? Some of those suggestions were logical including my task manager idea

I nor any other Mod have deleted any post in this topic. If a post is deleted, it is for a reason such as spam. But not a single post was deleted from this topic. So either the reply didnt go thru or it was lost during the upgrade process that was done recently. Dont jump to conclusions thinking that it is something we did right away and ask in private not in the public forums.

Go into the following registry locations to remove auto-launch programs:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Go into the following registry locations to remove auto-launch programs:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

That's a negative, ghostrider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom