Batch file to execute upon restart/shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbjunkie

Beta member
Hello,

I am creating a batch file that will save the Event logs to a network drive upon a restart / shutdown.

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 machines that run Windows Disk Protect. This program erases all saved data from the time it was turned on until the next shutdown/ reboot. This includes the Event Logs which leaves me no information when the users have a problem.

The only problem I have is figuring out where to place the batch file, once operational, so that it executes every time the machine is restarted or shutdown.

Is there somewhere in Windows that I can place this file to get this to occur? If so will you please send me in the correct direction? If not, does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks for any help!

google it, you could try and put it in the start up folder what you can find in the task menu or in ya C drive. also theres away i think doing i by typing in msconfig in run, not sure what to do from then on, some1 might be able to help you!!!

Having it run at start does not get me the outcome that I want. I could have it run on startup but then I would not have anything in the event log because everything is deleted when you restart or shutdown the machine which means that when you turn on the machine and the startup commands run, the files are empty.

I need it to run upon the user or a program restarting/shutting down the machine.

Thanks anyways

I dont know why your event log is erasing entries at startup, reset it to defaults and it should always save the events, i still have stuff from june. Anyway go to "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" and just drag it into there it should work, I do it on my computer that way.

I dont know why your event log is erasing entries at startup, reset it to defaults and it should always save the events, i still have stuff from june. Anyway go to "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" and just drag it into there it should work, I do it on my computer that way.

Ok so I have already stated why and what deletes the Event Logs. Windows Disk Protect (google it). Also, I stated that I didn't want it to run at "StartUp". Thank you anyways.

Wicked, thanks this is what I was looking for.My team in Denver knew exactly where to put it when I mentioned it to them so I don't even have to worry about that now. Thanks for your help everyone.

God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom