Bad Lan problem on winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

snypercore

Daemon Poster
sorting out omeones pc for therm and i reinstaslled a fresh copy of XP SP2 for them, and they can not connect to the internet or the network. it will say limited or no connectivity but then switch to "LAN connected 100Mbps" but still give no internet, i try and run repair and i get unable to renew IP. there are no IP conflicts and ive run winsockfix xp and ive also changed cables and updated drivers. any suggestions?

on an almost identical computer in the house i have done hte same steps as above and its fine

A little more information about the network would be appreciated.
Such as what the computers are connected to.
DSL? Cable?
If dsl; PPPOE being used (Username and password required to connect)

Does the computer connect to a router before going to the modem? Is it hardwired to the modem? Are you going through a hub?

Have you tried power cycling the modem?
If not, unplug power from the modem. Wait about a minute, then plug it back in. Wait until it finishes connecting, or until all the lights are back to normal. Then try to renew your IP.

thanks for reply ok heres all youll need to know:

the internet source is from a DSL cable modem which is conencted to a router, in total 3 computers are connected to the router and 2 work fine even the internet just this one machine that wont.
the username and password are corect which is why the other 2 machines have net acess fine.
the IP addres is fine with no conflicts, i have applied the winsockxp fix, there is no firewall installed or antivirus and windows firewall is configured to allow the LAN and it is also off, the drivers are up to date the cable has been changed and the router has been checked...im really lost

If it is DSL, your internet provider may require you to register your computer's MAC address with them. Though that's not very common. Who is your internet provider?

Have you tried setting up the router to use the username and password so that it doesn't need to be used on the computers themselves? (also known as enabling PPPOE on the router.)
I've seen that fix problems such as this, and I think it would be a good start.

Just log into your router, and look for a drop down menu that by default should show "dynamic IP address". It could also just be a list with the bullet select, but you get the idea.
Select PPPOE from the list, and put your DSL's username and password in there and apply. Hopefully after that all the computers on the router should be able to connect.

yeah thats all configured this is really getting me im lost also

another pc almost identical in hardware was formatted using the exact same winxp and no problems..

but all of the above is already done

thanks for the help so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom