Backup WinXP CD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Backup WinXP CD

I've got a WinXP disk that I want to back up to CD. When I copy to a CD ROM through Nero, I get a successful burn report, but the CD doesn't actually work. Is there a dongle or other protection causing this problem, and is there a way around it?

Old 10-27-2005, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

are you just copying the files on the cd? you'll need to make an image and then burn the image.

oh, and i think you arent allowed to copy it, so it might have copy protection,

Old 10-28-2005, 02:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Jayce

Originally posted by the general
are you just copying the files on the cd? you'll need to make an image and then burn the image.

oh, and i think you arent allowed to copy it, so it might have copy protection,
I heard folks in another thread similar to this that they use a program called Alcohol 120% or something along those lines. Everyone who had experience with the program said it copies the files directly and exactly the way they are on the primary cd. Meaning, it's the ideal copying program. Many said they made a copy of XP, and tucked it away for safe keeping. I considered this as well... but seeing as though my garage bill will be reaching upwards of a grand, I can't justify buying that program now.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey, guys!
What do you mean by WinXP disk? Is it physical XP CD?
If it's so, you can use Nero > make bootable CD. (not simply copy)
Also you can use smth like Virtual CD or Alcohol 120%.
but anyway it sould be bootable!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

you can't copy a xp cd on xp SP2 unless you use a program like nlite (just add a new driver or tweak to the xp cd and rip the new disc as an .iso file) to slightly modify the files and the name, so windows don't recognize it as a xp disc. you can rip it to the hard drive with no problems with sp2. I keep a copy of xp sp1 on my system (I have a triple boot system) just for burning xp cds and p2p.

try rename the xp iso file on your hard drive. I was going to try that. I just haven't got around to it
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Closed Thread