Backup softeware? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Backup softeware?

We are running a 2003 Exchange Server. What backup software do you recommend we use? I would like to backup everything from personal emails to shared out drives all without people have to be out of everything. I have heard that Symantec Backup Exec is good, does anyone have any experience with Synctec's backup exec?

Also, what are the benefits to using tapes instead of an external HD's? What are the best brands of tapes and decks?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Backup softeware?

Tapes are an older technology, generally a decently reliable technology. The biggest limitation of tapes is the amount of data that can be stored on them, as it does not compare to Harddrives, price the same. Hard drives, especially portable ones can be a viable alternative, where size will be an issue. I mean physical size, not logical size. You probably need to look at how much data you will need to back up. It may be that burning a CD or DVD will be enough. If you require more than a DVD's worth, I would definatly suggest a backup program that you can schedule. Your idea on symantec should be fine, but look at the features it offers. Unfortunatly I don't have any experience with symantec. My backup programs I wrote myself. :S

On backup plans - this should be part of your disaster recovery scheme, and the most accepted method is to have a child-parent-grandparent backup. To illustrate, the child backup might be a daily back up kept in the same room as the server that it backs up. The parent backup may be a weekly backup, taken home with you over the weekend, and the grandparent backup would be something done every two weeks or even monthly, and it would need to be in a safe deposit box in a bank. The idea being that the possibility of three catastrophies happening in three different places like that are small to none. Off site back up at least. Always Always Always have off site back up. Even if you put it on a tape and drive it to the bank every friday @ noon.

That's kinda my take on it.

The greatest measure of a nation is not it\'s army or economy, but by how many people are trying to get in, and how many people are staying!!
Guns, Guts, and Alcohol made America free.
Born American, Die American
Ubuntu - it\'s all about the bun\'s baby!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

We use a program called Evault along with a tape backup. Evault is a disk to disk backup to a server and ultimately to an off-site server at our corp. HQ. The tape backup is, as was mentioned, older technology but reliable. It is also slow. And the tape drives are expensive too, costing in the thousands of dollars for one that has a capacity of about 100 GB. Tapes are in the $50-$150 range depending on capacity as well.
Change the world. Of one person. Today.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

If your pockets are deep enough, only the best will do.

EMC Corporation
Closed Thread