Backup of entire application folders - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Backup of entire application folders

After Windows gave my laptop a minor case of the flu yesterday, I've decided that I really need to partition my hd and seperate the OS from the stuff I really care about. But then there's the problem that I don't know how to do that.

Do I need to format the hd before I insert the recovery disk or will it prompt me for that option? As I understand it I can't partition an hd containing files already...?

If I want to partition the hd into 3, how much space would just Windows XP require? I haven't decided if 3 really is necessary though. Any thoughts on the matter? (Have 80 GB)

I have several programs where I lack the installation disks. Using an external hd, can I just copy the folders and move them back once I've partitioned the hd? For some of these programs, like Nero, I needed to enter a registration key. How do I retrieve that and enter it into regkey afterwards? Obtionally, is there a good program out there to make backup of applications that would also retrieve the reg key?

Any help on these matters would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2005, 02:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

It seems, that you need partition manager software. I prefer Acronis Disk Director.
It will take you 10 minutes to complete all operatitions.
So, first you need srink your partition, as you have only one partition 80GB. How much free space do you have?
Shrink all free space. On unpartitioned area create 2 partitions.
For example: if you have 30 GB with OS and apps (after shrinking), create another partition 50 GB. Then press "commit".
Now you can continue: copy first partition on second (note: both partitions are primary), press "commit". After that, you can delete old unneeded windows files from second partition, and apps data from first. Again use Disk Director: shrink first partition (from 30 GB till 10-15 GB, as you wish), resize second from 50 till 60-65> "commit"> and again shrink second from 65-till 30. At last on unpartitioned area create new logical partition (40 GB) for storage private data.
So, you'll have 3 partitions: 1-OS;2-apps;3-private data,
none of data will be lose, all programs will be copied correctly, and you wont need any key, it's very reliable program.
As you wish, in future you could reinstall only OS partition, and the other 2 will be saved!
Really recommend!

Old 08-26-2005, 02:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Partition Magic is the best in my experiance.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 08-26-2005, 03:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Partition Magic doesnt allow you to shrink you current OS though.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-26-2005, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

I have not found a way to backup programs. They must always be re-installed after a format.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Win2kpatcher
I have not found a way to backup programs. They must always be re-installed after a format.
Hey. It's impossible!
What do you mean? You have never used any data backup software?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I have used data backup software but nothing like he is talkin about. To just cut and paste whole apps. Cant be done. Not with how apps spider out after install. Even if you had Regkeys and all. Just cant happen. A backup takes ALL info not just specific apps.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread