Backup complete system

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could just save a little extra (ie the whole program folder) and figure it out on the down curve.

The sad thing is fresh installs and keeping things isn't easy yet. so you just have to delve into your hard drive do some research and find what you need. It's for reasons like this I'm so anal retentive about organization on my drive.

Lol from now on I will be also. **** my messy attitude. First build so I guess u live and learn. I will get on this asap. New hardware due wed or thurs. Plenty more questions to come then
thanks again all

C:\Program Files\

That is the main place that programs are installed. Being XP the App Data is a hidden folder under

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\App Data

There you will find many of the profile and setting information.

I actually have win 7. So its possible to just copy the whole program file(x86) i believe and copy back to HDD once my new OS is installed?

I actually have win 7. So its possible to just copy the whole program file(x86) i believe and copy back to HDD once my new OS is installed?

Not exactly sure what you mean but if my hunch is right, yes. I don't think it's going to be as bad as we're making it sound lol

No it is not possilbe. If you read my post above, you will see that there is many other locations that files are stored for programs. In Win7 it is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\ and after that it could be Local, Local Low or Roaming. That doesnt include the Registry entries you will be missing. You can NOT just copy the program files folder and have it work.

ok another question. I have certain files that are 10+ GB in size that I need. How can I move those? I really need them. Cd's won't work and my flash drive can't hold that much
any ideas?
Thanks

The onyl way to do it is to either get a larger flash drive or to get the new hard drive now and partition it and move the data over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom