Backup complete system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattk1045

In Runtime
Hey all, Not sure if this goes here but I will check.

I need all my HDD data backed-up. I mean everything. I will be installing a new OS but I don't want to lose my information.
What are the best options for me?

Thanks

Why not just copy and paste the entire drive to another drive? Seems logical and easy enough. Why go through some software that will force you to reinstall it on the new system just to use the backup data when you can just copy and paste it to a new drive and use it as is.

I was unaware u could do that. As we talked before I am upgrading my mobo so I need to install new OS. I was thinking when I did that it would reformat my HDD. I wasn't changing my HDD so I wanted to keep all my info through the reformat. If I can just copy my drive, how do I do that? I am quit the rookie when it comes to computer hardware/software. Thanks for the help

Really what your best bets going to be is get flash drives and or cds and back up everything you want to keep. Now most programs will need to be reinstalled no matter what so find your install disks but if you want the saves and the saved files back that sh-tuff up. Maybe you'll get lucky and that board will take. I did a board swap and I didn't need to OS install but either way you want to be safe and have everything in order to make this as smooth as possible.

Hey Abstract it's u again lol. how would I do what u said? I don't know how to make backups or how to pick what I backup. Plus I sure hope u are wrong about having to get most of my program over. Lots of them are 1 time school programs downloaded as student versions.

Abstract is right. You will have to reinstall all the programs. As when programs install they have Registry files, appdata folders and profile information that is stored on various parts of the drive that cant just be copied over. So you will not be able to just run them from the drive and use them.

The only real things you can backup are going to be your songs, personal documents and stuff like that. When it comes to programs and games those will have to be reinstalled. The rest you can just copy and paste right from the drive to another drive, be it internal or external.

So if I go to windows backup what way should I use to backup? I guess I atleast want keep all my saved info. Sorry these ? might be dumb but I have no idea.
I also have a USB drive that I can use but I need to know all my saved data is moved to USB
thanks

If the stuff you're backing up is just basic pics and files of that sort it might be best to just do it yourself and move what you need to to your flash drive through "my computer."

There is probably a lot of stuff I can't think of that needs to come over. Certain items dealing with autoCAD, inventor and Revit such as family(part) files that auto install somewhere in the program files that I have no idea where

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom