Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
Need a backup solution for a windows vista computer. It needs to fit the following:
-free
-runs on a schedule
-can backup to a USB drive
-backups up what i select
-doesn't have to be compacted backup, but that would be nice
-doesn't have to be incrimented backup, but that would be nice

I've used syncback in the past. its a decent program.

I know ntbackup covers most of the reqs. the exception being compacted archive. Did MS change the backup program starting with Vista?

i'm currently thinking about creating a solution for people at work that only backs up files that have changed to a 7zip archive. 7zip should enable better compression rates. However, to perform a restore you need to have the 7zip app installed.

7zip's command line utility has a update function that can be found in the article linked below
http://www.techist.com/forums/f27/using-7zip-command-line-230426/

There is still ntbackup but the built in backup that Vista/Win7 has is junk.

Yes vista changed the backup utility and it is crap. You cannot select files that you want to back. Windows 7 backup is better in the sense that you can select the files you want to backup and it is incrimented, but it is still below par IMO.

I will try the above suggestions. Any other suggestions are more than welcome. Mike i'm not good at scripting, the only thing i've done is VB and java at school.

Yes vista changed the backup utility and it is crap. You cannot select files that you want to back. Windows 7 backup is better in the sense that you can select the files you want to backup and it is incrimented, but it is still below par IMO.

I will try the above suggestions. Any other suggestions are more than welcome. Mike i'm not good at scripting, the only thing i've done is VB and java at school.

Well, you really don't have to know much man. Actually, with this kind of thing, its all cmd prompt batch file BS....

Interesting - mind sending me a few example blocks?

Well, it honestly just depends on what you are backing up and how often and, of course, the integrity of the backup. I wrote something for Starbucks a long time ago that I could tweak and send you but honestly, it would be easier just to compile a new one... the Sbux one was in English and German.... and it was set to run on Germany's entire Sbux market (300 stores or so)

Nice Mike - who do you / did you work for?

I can manipulate the code, i'm not worried about that since i have some background in it. It would be the jumping off point i'm looking for :)

Side note - nice to see you back on more regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom